What you need to know
- Google has announced the monthly security patch for October 2020.
- It has a firmware date of 2020-10-05.
- Pixel phones get a bunch of fixes for various sensors and system UI bugs.
As with any new month, the start of October brings a new Android security patch with it. The October 2020 one has just been unveiled by Google, and as per usual, it's a fairly small bit of software.
This month's update addresses a bunch of Qualcomm vulnerabilities, and while that's not stuff you'll ever notice in day-to-day use, it's always reassuring to see Google address new issues as they pop up. In regards to more user-facing changes, this patch also includes a few bug fixes for Pixel devices. They include:
- Improvement for auto-rotation in certain device orientations (Pixel 3 series, Pixel 3a series, Pixel 4 series, Pixel 4a).
- Improvements to auto-brightness response in certain lighting conditions (Pixel 4a).
- Fix for some devices stuck during boot (Pixel 2 series, Pixel 3 series, Pixel 3a series, Pixel 4 series, Pixel 4a).
- Fix to prevent inadvertent disablement of call notifications (Pixel 2 series, Pixel 3 series, Pixel 3a series, Pixel 4 series, Pixel 4a).
- Fix for missing auto-rotate icon in certain device orientations (Pixel 2 series, Pixel 3 series, Pixel 3a series, Pixel 4 series, Pixel 4a).
- Fix for undetected overview swipe gesture in launcher (Pixel 2 series, Pixel 3 series, Pixel 3a series, Pixel 4 series, Pixel 4a).
- Improvements for touch sensitivity with screen protectors (Pixel 4a).
These may not be the most earth-shattering updates we've ever seen, but we're appreciative of them regardless. Especially for the Pixel 4a which just came out back in August, it's awesome that Google's already addressed a few quality of life items.
If you have any of the Pixel phones mentioned above, keep an eye out for the OTA update to hit your unit soon!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
OnePlus 9 is releasing in March 2021 — four weeks earlier than usual
The OnePlus 9 will be released in March 2021, significantly earlier than any flagship OnePlus has launched yet. The early launch allows OnePlus to better position its 2021 flagship against the likes of Samsung, Xiaomi, and others.
Nest Secure is discontinued — here's what's going on and why it matters
Nest's home security alarm system is only three years old, and yet its already heading to the Google Graveyard. This announcement is sudden, unexpected, and quite honestly unreasonable on Google's part, as it leaves users and their home safety in limbo.
Windows apps on Chromebooks are here, but most of you can't use them yet
Windows has finally come to Enterprise Chromebooks and it looks great! The only thing that could make it greater is a personal edition.
Protect your precious Pixel 3a with perfectly priced cases!
No matter your taste, your phone needs a case, and the affordably-priced Pixel 3a is no exception.