Xiaomi unveiled MIUI 9 a few weeks ago in China, and the global version of the ROM is now available in beta. The ROM is being rolled out in stages, with the Redmi Note 4 and Mi 6 currently eligible for the update.
Most of the interesting new additions — the universal image search, smart app launcher, and smart assistant — are limited to the China ROM, but there's plenty to like in the global beta. I have it installed on my Mi 6, and there's a noticeable uptick in responsiveness. The UI doesn't feel bloated anymore, and split-screen mode is now built into the ROM.
Here's the changelog for the MIUI 9 build 7.8.10:
- New - Deep-level system optimizations (08-07)
- New - New icons (08-07)
- New - New animations for launching and exiting apps (08-07)
- New - Simpler Home screen editing (08-07)
- New - Introducing Split screen (08-07)
- New - Improved Silent mode triggered by the volume button (08-07)
- New - Improved readability for the start page of Messaging (08-07)
- Optimization - Devices with rare Bluetooth profiles are hidden in the device list (07-25)
- New - Search for apps in the Dual apps settings (08-03)
If you're running a MIUI 9 beta ROM, you should be able to download the latest MIUI 9 build through the Updater app on your phone. If you're on a stable build, you'll have to download the ROM from the link below and flash it manually. Before you do that, you'll have to get the bootloader unlocked.
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
Harish Jonnalagadda is a Senior Editor overseeing Asia at Android Central. He leads the site's coverage of Chinese phone brands, contributing to reviews, features, and buying guides. He also writes about storage servers, audio products, and the semiconductor industry. Contact him on Twitter at @chunkynerd.