Xiaomi unveiled MIUI 9 a few weeks ago in China, and the global version of the ROM is now available in beta. The ROM is being rolled out in stages, with the Redmi Note 4 and Mi 6 currently eligible for the update.
Most of the interesting new additions — the universal image search, smart app launcher, and smart assistant — are limited to the China ROM, but there's plenty to like in the global beta. I have it installed on my Mi 6, and there's a noticeable uptick in responsiveness. The UI doesn't feel bloated anymore, and split-screen mode is now built into the ROM.
Here's the changelog for the MIUI 9 build 7.8.10:
- New - Deep-level system optimizations (08-07)
- New - New icons (08-07)
- New - New animations for launching and exiting apps (08-07)
- New - Simpler Home screen editing (08-07)
- New - Introducing Split screen (08-07)
- New - Improved Silent mode triggered by the volume button (08-07)
- New - Improved readability for the start page of Messaging (08-07)
- Optimization - Devices with rare Bluetooth profiles are hidden in the device list (07-25)
- New - Search for apps in the Dual apps settings (08-03)
If you're running a MIUI 9 beta ROM, you should be able to download the latest MIUI 9 build through the Updater app on your phone. If you're on a stable build, you'll have to download the ROM from the link below and flash it manually. Before you do that, you'll have to get the bootloader unlocked.