The Microsoft Surface Duo 2 gets a new update, but don't get too excited
What you need to know
- Microsoft is rolling out the November security update for the Surface Duo 2.
- The October update featured some stability improvements, but nothing in terms of features.
- Meanwhile, the original Surface Duo is still awaiting its Android 11 update.
The Microsoft Surface Duo 2 hasn't been out very long and is already receiving its second update. On Friday, Microsoft has released the November security patch (via Windows Central) which should be available for Surface Duo 2 owners now.
However, if you're looking for anything more substantial in the update, like Android 12, for instance, it appears you're out of luck. In the release notes (opens in new tab), Microsoft states that the update "[a]ddresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin – November 2021."
It's not too exciting, even when compared to the first update received in October, which came with stability improvements. As noted by Windows Central, users that received the update seemed to note that their devices ran better.
While the November update is pretty underwhelming, that's unfortunately become par-for-the-course for Duo owners, particularly of the first model, which has yet to see Android 11 while many of the best Android phones are already receiving or awaiting Android 12.
With any luck, we'll see something more substantial in December, especially since Samsung's Galaxy Z foldables are expected to receive One UI 4 next month. We'll likely see Android 12L support at some point as the update targets foldables and larger screen devices, but we'll have to wait and see when the beta or stable version rolls out.
To update the Surface Duo 2, navigate to Settings > System > System update > Check for update. Note that it may take some time to reach your device.
Double the fun
Multitasking made easier
The new Surface Duo 2 is Microsoft's latest dual-screen Android device, with plenty of upgrades like a new 5G chip, stereo speakers, more cameras, and a cool way to glance at notifications while the device is closed. The Microsoft Duo 2 just might be the best way to multitask.
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
Derrek is a long-time Nokia and LG fanboy who loves astronomy, videography, and sci-fi movies. When he's not working, he's most likely working out or smoldering at the camera.
1. They hadn't closed all their stores so there was no place to lay hands on the device to try out it.
2. Lack of a upgrade schedule.
3. All the review seem to indicate some of the glitchy behavior persists that occurred in Gen 1. For $1500? MS is nuts. Heck I would go with the Samsung fold before I go with the Surface Duo, and I HATE Samsung's software. But at least they have a mostly respectable upgrade schedule.