At the Game Awards 2019, we got our first look at in-engine footage for a PS5 game, Godfall. Developed by Counterplay Games and published by Gearbox Publishing, Godfall is a new IP, set in a world of knights and realms of magical elements. Described as a "third-person Looter-Slasher," this game is the first official PS5 game that was revealed, although there have been plenty more since. Here's everything we know about Godfall.
Godfall is set in a world with multiple, distinct realms: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Spirit. You play as a member of the Knight's Order, who are attempting to keep the apocalypse at bay. Counterplay Games says the world was inspired by works such as Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive and Isaac Asimov's Foundation.
The official Godfall Twitter account has begun sharing some snippets of lore, detailing the creation of the world, the powerful Archons, and how they fell. All of this ties into the name of the game: Godfall.
The team is also teasing Silvermane, which could be a unique set or armor or a character. You can see the teaser below:
You can take a look at the reveal trailer from the Game Awards 2019 below.
There's also a new gameplay reveal trailer that was featured doing Sony's The Future of Gaming PS5 event, which you can see below.
We've also seen some brief footage of a boss fight in another clip.
Finally, the team has shared the cinematic intro for the game.
Godfall wallpapers, gameplay and features
Counterplay Games originally stated it would be sharing more information about Godfall sometime in spring 2020. This information was then pushed back to later in 2020, though the studio has shared a great deal. Here's what we know about the gameplay in Godfall.
- Godfall is a third-person game.
- The Game Awards reveal trailer was in-engine footage.
- Godfall is being developed using Unreal Engine 4.
- Counterplay Games says it is a looter-slasher.
- The focus is on melee combat, but players will have ranged abilities with cooldowns.
- You can play it single-player, or in two or three-player co-op.
- You'll unlock loot such as Valorplates, which can be outfitted with different Augments.
- The gameplay was partially inspired by the Monster Hunter series.
- There will be a wide range of melee weapons and you can equip two at a time.
- Combat is based around targeting weakpoints.
- Counterplay Games is using the PS5's SSD to allow for "seamless" loading of the game world.
- Counterplay Games is also taking advantage of the haptic feedback technology in the PS5 DualSense controller.
- Ray-tracing is being used to some capacity.
- The developers have confirmed there will be no microtransactions.
- A few seconds of gameplay footage have leaked.
- A full internal trailer also leaked.
Counterplay Games held a full gameplay walkthrough, which you can see in the video below.
Does Godfall have cross-play?
Right now, we don't know if Godfall has cross-play across the PS5 and PC versions of the game. It seems likely though, given the completely co-op, PvE (player vs. environment) nature of the game.
Is Godfall a multiplayer title?
Godfall does not feature PvP multiplayer. However, it does allow you to play together in co-op. You can play with one or two friends as you slash and loot together.
Is Godfall an MMO?
Godfall is not an MMO. While you can play co-op with a couple of friends, you won't be teaming up in massive groups.
Is Godfall coming to PS4?
No, Godfall is not a cross-generation game and is a PS5 console exclusive.
Is Godfall coming to PC?
Yes, in addition to launching on PS5, Godfall will be available on PC through the Epic Games Store. It will launch alongside the PS5 version of the game.
Is Godfall coming to Xbox One?
No, Godfall is not coming to Xbox One. It is a console exclusive for PlayStation and will not be available on current-generation consoles. Godfall is a timed exclusive and will likely come to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at a later date.
When is the release date for Godfall?
Godfall is a launch title for the PlayStation 5 and will be available alongside the system on November 12 in some countries, with a global release on November 19. It could end up being one of the best PS5 launch games.
Fight and loot together
Godfall is a co-op looter-slasher, allowing players to team up and take on monsters together while gathering powerful Valorplates that unlock incredible powers. An expansion is coming at some point in 2021.
Easy to stock up
PlayStation gift cards are an easy way to grab currency for games, add-ons, themes, and more on the PlayStation Store. They also come in a wide variety of denominations, and you can stock up for PS5 games.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.