In addition to the announcement of the rather stylish new Idol 4 smartphones, Alcatel's other big news out of Mobile World Congress is, well, that it's now just Alcatel. The company has dropped "OneTouch" from its name and will just go by "Alcatel." And it's got a new logo to go along with it.
(Now is as good a point to mention that it's actually going from "ALCATEL ONETOUCH" to just "ALCATEL." Keeping with our tradition of being inconsistent with putting up with companies' capitalization idiosyncrasies, we're going to just use "Alcatel" from here on out, which we'd been doing anyway.)
The idea, Alcatel said, is to keep the brand name from sounding like a product name. And we'd have to agree with that. Simpler is better.
Keeping It Simple: ALCATEL ONETOUCH Becomes ALCATEL"
- ALCATEL ONETOUCH will operate under the name ALCATEL, with a new logo and new focus
- The brand will increase its engagement with millennial customers
- ALCATEL will continue to create curated, carefully considered, fun devices at the right price point
MWC, Barcelona, 20 February 2016 – ALCATEL ONETOUCH, a member of TCL Communication, announces that it will now be operating under the name ALCATEL.
With its business in key segments and markets increasing, ALCATEL felt it was the right time to launch the new branding. In tune with its target market of millennials, ALCATEL is simplifying: simplifying its name, simplifying their message and streamlining their devices.
Consumer focused devices and consumer focused marketing
With the launch of its new branding, ALCATEL is also increasing its engagement with millennials, who are uncompromising in what they expect from brands in their everyday lives. ALCATEL seeks to offer the features and technology their customers need, but keep surprising the users with great experiences.
Aimed at college students/young adults, young professionals and young parents, the brand's new lineup, currently being launched at Mobile World Congress, offers an array of personalized choices particularly suited to these markets, including fun customizable covers, DJ mixing software, amped-up audio systems and the innovative virtual reality experience.
- IDOL 4 series: The ALCATEL flagship augments the user experience with a Boom Key that enhances taking photos, listening to music, gaming and more
- POP 4 series: "Designed by you, inside and out," with vast collection of colors and styles, and optional technology upgrades
- PIXI 4 series: Offers a comprehensive and reliable user experience at an affordable price
- PLUS 10: The brand's first connected 2-in-1 Windows® device for unbeatable productivity on-the-move
Fun, But Thoughtful
"Millennials want to have fun, but they also want those experiences to be simple, meaningful and authentic," said Dan Dery, Chief Marketing Officer at ALCATEL. "Because both quality and price are important to millennials, we feel that ALCATEL — with our DNA of making innovation accessible to everyone — is uniquely in tune with their needs."