The sequel to classic strategy game XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in the Google Play Store. XCOM: Enemy Within features the same excellent turn-based gameplay and long-term squad progression, and lathers on new story, more aliens to blow up, more tech to research, and the ability to upgrade your troops with cybernetics and gene mods.
Here's a quick break-down of the game's features.
- New Soldier Abilities: Build new base facilities to unlock unearthly new capabilities for XCOM's soldiers. The Genetics Lab will allow soldiers to receive powerful genetic modifications, and the Cybernetics Lab allows soldiers to use devastating mechanized cybersuits in battle;
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from two new alien types and a deadly new organization known as EXALT;
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield, research a new technology to unlock its power, and use it carefully back at base to unlock new upgrades and weaponry;
- New Multiplayer maps, units, and abilities: Create custom squads from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches via Google Play and Apple Game Center only.
XCOM: Enemy Within is available for $12.99, which may be a bit steep for those who are used to freemium games, but if the last XCOM port is any indication, this should be a high-quality title that stays surprisingly true to the original game.