Update: When we said "Has begun rolling out," that should be pronounced "Coming June 4," as just stated by Verizon. Let the beatings begin.
If you're a Motorola XOOM owner on Verizon, we've got great news: The 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) update
has begun rolling out is nigh. We saw the Verizon update roadmap a couple weeks ago, suggesting that the ICS update could drop at any time, so it's nice to see it hit not too long afterwards.
There are a lot of enhancements that come with this update. The four features that Verizon is taking the most time to point out are:
- The Launch Bar, which allows you to drop applications, shortcuts and folders into and access from any homescreen
- Usage Center, which Verizon has been highly touting as of late. It lets you keep track of your data usage
- Notification Pop Up Box, which contains all of your inboxes and notifications in one streamlined box
- Folders, you've all seen ICS folders by now, so you'll get to create and use them on the XOOM screen as well
There are many other benefits from the update though. Here is a list:
- 4G LTE upgrade issues resolved
- Exchange/Activesync policy improvements
- EAS security and sync fixed
- Email search
- Updated browser with faster rendering
- Updated People application
- Improved text input
- Improved stability
- App launcher has been redesigned to allow app dragging to uninstall or disable
- Launch camera from lockscreen option
- Single mode panorama mode
- Photo editor added in Gallery application
- New font (Roboto)
There is lots to like about this update, so if you have a XOOM, keep an eye out. If you haven't received it yet, sit tight, it's rolling out gradually. It is an OTA update, so all you have to do is go to Settings -> About Tablet -> System Update to check to see if you can get it.
If you have it and want to brag about the new features or just want to see how others are liking the update, sing out in our Motorola XOOM Forum.
Source: Verizon Wireless
- Related devices: