Verizon is now pushing out an update for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge which brings a number of new features to the phones. To ensure that the phone remains waterproof at all times, Verizon now displays a pop-up when the SIM tray is not fully closed. Additionally, there are some improvements to managing memory use of individual apps and more.
Verizon notes that some of the changes for both phones include:
- This software update brings the latest security patches and improvements to various settings and features.
- Added a SIM/SD Card pop-up reminder to close the tray if it's left open.
- It's easier to check individual app performance and memory usage in the Application Manager.
- Easier instructions on how to turn and turn off the Always on Display feature, which dims display brightness for better nighttime use.
- When traveling outside your default time zone, the dual clock displays the current time under "Roaming."
For the Galaxy S7 edge, the update also brings two other features:
- You can now learn more about Enhanced features, voice commands with S Voice, new Themes and how to use the Edge screen, in Help > New features.
- The Calendar Edge panel now provides a quick glance of upcoming events and location information.
In addition, you've got new helpful hints in the Smart Switch app, fixed Outlook email sync when in Power Saving mode, more consistent connection to Network Extenders and more. The update is just beginning to push out, so it may be a day or two before you see it hit your phone. To check for it manually, head into your Settings, then About phone and finally check for the update.
Update: And in another sign that Samsung (and Verizon) are doing better at pushing out security updates, the GS7 is now on the May security patch.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Zoom apologizes over security and privacy issues and freezes new features
Zoom has issued a public apology over several security and privacy flaws highlighted in its service. It has vowed to freeze new features for 90 days whilst it fixes them.
Aukey 26800mAh 65W USB-C battery review: My new go-to travel power bank
There's been a steady improvement in really big portable batteries with high outputs for us with laptops as they shift to USB-C, and the latest I'm relying on is the Aukey 26000mAh portable battery.
Bethesda won't be holding a digital E3 showcase this year
We have some unfortunate news to share (and no, it's not an April Fool's joke). Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that it will not be holding a digital E3 showcase this year. Instead, news about Bethesda games will be shared in different ways in the months ahead.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra is Verizon's best phone
There's nothing quite like a new phone on America's top-rated network, and the Galaxy S20 Ultra is a smash hit.