Using your phone number on a new carrier is a fairly straightforward operation on any carrier and with Visible, it's even simpler. You'll complete your number transfer, or port, in the Visible app as part of the signup process, but there are a few things you'll need to know to be successful.
Products used in this guide
- You'll need an unlocked phone: Google Pixel 3 ($476 at Amazon)
- Simple, affordable, and unlimited: Visible ($40/mo. at Visible)
How to transfer your phone number to Visible
- Get your current account information. You'll need your account number, account PIN, and billing zip code. You may need to call your current carrier for this information.
- Your number needs to be active. Don't cancel your current service until you finish setting up Visible.
You need a SIM card from Visible if you are bringing your own phone. Complete the process on Visible's site to get one.
- Download the Visible App (also available on iOS.
- Follow the steps in the app to set up your account. You will need a data connection or Wi-Fi for this process.
- After you confirm your phone will work on the service, Visible will ask if your want to transfer your number.
- Follow the instructions to complete the transfer. You'll need the information you gathered earlier.
- Try to have a little patience. The process can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours to complete.
Once your number's finished transferring, you're good to go on your new service. If anything unexpected happened and you need some more help, contact Visible by sending a text to 99370, tweeting @VisibleCare, or selecting Help in the Visible app.
Our top equipment picks
You'll need a phone running Android or iOS to get started. Grab an unlocked phone or buy one directly from Visible to get started.
Great support and clean Android
The Google Pixel 3 is one of the best cameras you can buy and there's even a great phone attached. This is one of your favorite Visible-compatible Android phones.
One of the nicest things about a Pixel phone is that you are first in line for Android updates and you know the newest version has been tested to work well. You also get one of the purest Android experience with minimal bloat, not to mention Google's excellent camera software, which makes the camera a top performer.
A big network for less
No credit check and a big network
Visible is as simple as possible. Use Verizon's LTE network with no contract and get good speeds for browsing and streaming and no surprise fees.
Though it is a little older now, the Samsung Galaxy S9 is still a great phone with a great design. It's lower price and great compatibility when unlocked can make it a great phone to try a new carrier with.
The Galaxy S9 is one of Samsung's most beautiful designs with a great camera and a vibrant display. Grab one unlocked to take it with you to most carriers.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Which MVNOs are best for hotspot data?
MVNOs are offering more data than ever and many of them are letting you share it with your other Wi-Fi devices. If you need a backup plan for Wi-Fi or just spend a lot of time away from public access points, you can get connected with a prepaid carrier.
The Galaxy S20+ is the best T-Mobile phone for most people
Wondering about the best phones T-Mobile offers? We've got you covered.
With a phone as beautiful as the LG Velvet, you'll want to get a great case
It can be tough to find a great case for a new phone, especially for a phone with a unique and wonderful design like the LG Velvet. But thankfully, there are a lot of solid case choices out there and these are our favorites to keep your LG Velvet safe from when "life happens".