The folks at TouchType have made SwiftKey 3 official, and available today in Google Play. Many of us have been keeping an eye on the beta version, so we know just how well this Android keyboard works and the great features it has. If you're not part of the beta testing group, here's what to expect --
- Smart Space – adding to SwiftKey’s already cutting edge correction, Smart Space detects mistyped or omitted spaces across strings of poorly typed words in real-time.
- Two new themes – a new theme, ‘Cobalt’, to match SwiftKey’s new look and feel, and an Ice Cream Sandwich-styled ‘Holo’ theme, as voted for by SwiftKey’s VIP community.
- An enhanced UI – a much larger space bar and smart punctuation key help improve accuracy and make it quick and easy to access common punctuation.
- Additional languages – SwiftKey 3 now offers support for an additional seven languages, bringing the total up to 42. The new languages are Korean, Estonian, Farsi, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian and Serbian.
- A dedicated comma key, and the <123> key in the bottom-left corner.
- Refined Smart Punctuation pop-up for better, more consistent behaviour.
- Improved Smart Space functionality for easier email addresses and URL entry.
- Reduced lag on some devices for a more responsive experience.
- Reintroduction of the long-press duration setting by popular request.
- Further improved prediction algorithms for even more accurate next word suggestions.
- Updated gestures for easier shortcuts.
- Several bug fixes.
That's quite the impressive change log! SwiftKey has always been a favorite (they won one of our 2011 Editor's Choice awards), and it's amazing prediction engine really does make typing easier. Rich downloadable language dictionaries, combined with personalization through social media and your e-mail make it accurate -- so accurate it's scary sometimes. As a special, the app will be on sale for a limited time for just $1.99. Well worth the two bucks in our opinion.
Speaking of personalization, TouchType has also announced SwiftKey Healthcare, which uses the prediction technology to take faster and more accurate notes on tablet devices. TouchType's initial trials indicate that healthcare professionals will save up to half the amount of time they currently spend typing, and it's a great step into the enterprise space for the SwiftKey team. Hit the break for a short product video and a smattering of screenshots from the new build.
- Filed under: