Verizon has published the Motorola Droid 2 Gingerbread update support pages, and that's usually a sign that the update isn't far off. The update will bring the Droid 2 to Android 2.3, and software version 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US (that's a mouthful) as well as an update to
Blur not Blur and several bug fixes. The key enhancements as listed by Verizon:
- New Download Manager App
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications, as well as the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups
- Added Device and SD Card encryption.
- VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings
Gingerbread should breathe some new life into the Droid 2, Be sure to holler in the forums when you see it roll in. Check out the source link for the full details.
Source: Verizon; via Motorola support forums