What you need to know
- Lenovo announced the second Android 12L Developer Preview for the Lenovo Tab P12 Pro.
- The new update includes no significant changes from the first beta, except for the 2021-12-01 security patch level.
- The latest beta only supports the tablet's Wi-Fi version that is sold outside of China.
Both the software flashing packages and the Android 12L beta 2 image are now available to download via Lenovo's developer website, coming in at 1.7GB. The latest update also includes the December 2021 security patch level.
Lenovo did not provide release notes for the new beta, so it's not clear what issues have been resolved. That said, the company lists the same software limitations from December.
- 'Copy apps & data' in OOBE is not supported.
- Fingerprint unlock is not supported
- Face Unlock is not supported
- TOF sensor related function is removed
- Stylus key function is not supported but basic function works
- Touchpad functions with two fingers are not supported
- Touchpad swipe up/down/left/right with 3 or 4 fingers are not supported
- Miracast function is not supported
- Screen output via cable (extended screen) can be supported when force desktop mode> is turned on in developer menu.
- Cast Via HDMI (extended screen) can be supported when is turned on in developer menu.
- VPN is not tested and may not work properly
- WIDI is not supported
According to XDA Developers, Android 12L Beta 2 fixes broken toast messages and a misaligned clock on the lock screen that were discovered in the first beta. Apart from that, there appear to be no significant differences between the first developer preview and this one.
Keep in mind that in order to install the preview build, you must have the Wi-Fi version of the Lenovo Tab P12 Pro sold outside of China.
The update arrived two weeks after Google released Android 12L Beta 2 for some of its best Android phones. Announced in late October, Android 12L is optimized for large-screen devices, so it's not surprising to see a strong emphasis on improved app usage experience in landscape mode, including easier multitasking.
Lenovo Tab P12 Pro
Try Android 12L first
Lenovo is one of the few Android OEMs putting out impressive tablet hardware, and the Tab P12 Pro is its most impressive yet. It features a gorgeous 2K AMOLED display, pen support, and Dolby Atmos audio, all packed into a sleek chassis.
Have you listened to this week's Android Central Podcast?
Every week, the Android Central Podcast brings you the latest tech news, analysis and hot takes, with familiar co-hosts and special guests.
Jay Bonggolto always keeps a nose for news. He is a tech journalist based in the Philippines who has been writing about consumer tech for the past six years and has been using various Android phones since falling in love with Jelly Bean. When he's not writing, he likes to spend time outside, stealing scenes with his phone camera.
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.