We're here to show you how to sign up for Fitbit Premium so that you can make more sense out of all the health data and metrics your Fitbit devices collects. You can sign up on a monthly or annual basis, and you can even try it out for free for a limited (or extended) period of time. Excited to start? Great! Let's jump into it.
Products used in this guide
- A premium fitness program: Fitbit Premium ($80/year at Fitbit)
- Versatile fitness smartwatch: Fitbit Charge 5 (From $292 at Amazon)
What is Fitbit Premium?
Fitbit Premium offers several additional insights and services that build off the vast amount of personal data collected by your Fitbit tracker. Much of this data is yours to access and act upon as you see fit without an additional cost, but the added analysis and guided workouts, meditations, and health plans are a paid feature. If you're interested in a more detailed breakdown of the program and its features, check out our earlier review.
Now that you know what is included with a Fitbit Premium subscription, here's how to sign up.
How to sign up for Fitbit Premium on the web
- In your browser of choice, go to Fitbit's website (opens in new tab).
- Hover your cursor over the Products tab toward the top left of the screen, then mouse over and click on Services.
- Scroll through the page to read up on the program offerings, and then click on the Fitbit Premium Membership or Fitbit Premium + Health Coaching Memberhip.
- You can then decide if you prefer to be billed on a monthly or an annual basis.
- You'll also be required to log in or sign up for an account.
- Click on the Checkout button to confirm your purchase.
That's it — you're done! You should now be able to access Fitbit Premium through your mobile app within a few short minutes. If you don't see the change reflected, force close the mobile app and restart, or sign out and log back in. Now you can dive deep into all of your health metrics and start taking action towards building a happier and healthier you!
At step #3 above, you may notice a second option for Fitbit Premium + Health Coaching Membership. This gives you all of the benefits of Fitbit Premium, plus access to a personal coach. This costs substantially more than the regular Premium subscription ($45/month), but many will find those rates competitive with having a personal trainer and well worth it during these pandemic times.
How to sign up for Fitbit Premium in the app
- Open the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- There are two ways to get to the Premium signup and features. You can tap on the Premium tab with the dotted arrow along the bottom of the screen, but if that's not showing up in your app, you can simply tap on your profile icon in the top left corner, and there you should see a tab for Fitbit Premium.
- Tap on Premium.
- Here, you'll find an explanation of the service, along with the opportunity to partake in a free trial period, after which you can choose to be billed monthly or annually. Alternatively, you can skip the free trial altogether and go directly to paying.
Once you've made your selection, you should have immediate access to the services, plans, and insights of Fitbit Premium.
Premium trials with top devices
Fitbit offers trial periods with all of its latest and most popular smartwatches and fitness trackers, so you can try out the service for anywhere from three months up to a full year before deciding if you want to keep it. Right now, Fitbit is offering a 90-day trial to any new subscriber who upgrades to Premium to give it a go.
With lots of additional content available and coming soon, including Deepak Chopra's mindfulness meditations and upcoming wellness content from actor and singer Will Smith, there has never been a better time to sign up!
Our top equipment picks
Now that you know how to sign up for Fitbit Premium, if you find the service interests you and you need a new smartwatch or fitness tracker, we recommend picking up the versatile Fitbit Sense along with your subscription. Or, for something sleeker, smaller, and more affordable, the Fitbit Luxe is Fitbit's most stylish option to date. For a sportier look, there's the new Fitbit Charge 5 as well.
Make the most of your Fitbit
Fitbit Premium is a great way to make the fitness data your tracker generates and make it actionable. Available on Android and iOS, you can pay monthly or annually for the service.
Premium smartwatch to match
Fitbit Sense - Advanced Smartwatch
Fitness watch with even more smarts
The Sense is a full-featured smartwatch with everything you'd want in a fitness wearable and then some. It has a gorgeous screen, SpO2 sensor, ECG sensor, and onboard GPS.
Jeramy is proud to help *Keep Austin Weird* and loves hiking in the hill country of central Texas with a breakfast taco in each hand. When he's not writing about smart home gadgets and wearables, he's defending his relationship with his smart voice assistants to his family. You can follow him on Twitter at @jeramyutgw.
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.