Samsung Pay is one of the easiest ways to pay with your phone at thousands of retail stores. The service supports both NFC (Near Field Communication) and MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission), which means it'll work with NFC-enabled payment systems as well as older card readers. MST effectively mimics a card swipe action, allowing you to use Samsung Pay anywhere.
Setting up Samsung Pay is easy, and shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time.
How to install Samsung Pay on the Galaxy Note 8
- Open Samsung Pay from the app drawer.
- Tap Install to download and install Samsung Pay on your phone. The installation takes up 101MB.
- At the installation confirmation window, tap Install.
How to add your credit or debit cards to Samsung Pay
Once Samsung Pay is installed, you'll see a short intro video highlighting its features. The service needs a Samsung account to work, so if you didn't log in to your Samsung account while setting up your Note 8, you will be asked to do so here. And if you don't have a Samsung account, you can register for one.
Once you log in to your Samsung account, you can start setting up Samsung Pay and registering your cards.
- Tap Start to set up Samsung Pay on your Note 8.
- Select the Verification method. You can choose from four options: iris and fingerprint, iris only, fingerprint only, or just a PIN.
- Once you've selected the verification method, tap Next.
- If you've selected iris + fingerprint, you'll be asked to verify the iris and fingerprints you've registered on your Note 8.
- Once you've authenticated your fingerprints and irises, you can add your credit or debit card. Tap Add card to continue.
- Give Samsung Pay access to take photos and record video. You can add your card details manually, or use the Note 8's camera to scan the card number (screenshots aren't available for this part, but it's very straightforward).
- You can also add cards from the Samsung Pay home screen. Select the Credit/debit button to add your cards.
- If you've previously added cards to Samsung Pay, they will be listed in the cards page. You'll have to authorize them once again on the Note 8 before you can use them.
You can verify a card by either a text message or a call.
How do you use Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay's ability to work with both NFC and MST gives it a distinct advantage over the likes of Android Pay. The service is now live in 19 countries, and is making its way to more and more markets.
How was your experience with Samsung Pay on the Galaxy Note 8? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
No Samsung App on my Note 8 in Canada. Wtf?
You have to download it from Google or Samsung which is weird. I looked too and thought it would already be on the Note 8.
Samsung Pay is only available through CIBC currently. Worked amazing on my s8. That said, for some reason the Note8 in Canada is still coming up as incompatible. Hoping for a fix soon so that I can get back up and running. Using android pay in the meantime but it's not in the same league as samsung pay.
Samsung Pay is great, works 99% of the time for me.
I would love to use Samsung Pay but my bank (Santander) is still not supported.
It's been a bit sketchy for me as of late. I used Samsung pay all the time on my s7 edge without fail at least 95% of the time depending on the retailer, but now on my Note 8, it takes a good two to four tries before it goes through. Maybe it has to do with the added size of the device since the components are more spread out within the case and I'm not accurately focusing the back where it needs to go, but even still . It just seems a bit buggy.
Love Samsung Pay! And if you enter code AC279F you get a $5 gift card the first time you buy something!
Samsung and Apple pay make no sense in Canada. Why, Canadian banks embraced technology and chip security, while American banks have not. Odd, the Americans are less interested in upgrading to reduce fraud. Anyways, through Interac Canadians already have tap debit. Consumers have nothing to gain by paying through Samsung or Apple. Consumers also lose loyalty rewards like airmiles by not using their bank or credit card. Mobile tap payments will never be a big deal in Canada.
I get great loyalty rewards through samsung pay in Canada and I still get my reward points on my cards. Win win for me.
We still get loyalty rewards. We have chip technology, too. There are convenience benefits to using Pay on phones and watches...mostly watches.
So much faster on the note8. Way more responsive than my s7e!
Love SamsungPay. It. Just. Works. Across the #USA.
Is there something unique to the Note that makes setting up Samsung Pay different than it was to set it up on my GS8?
Supported Devices in Canada: Galaxy Note5*
Galaxy S6 edge+*
Galaxy S6 edge
Galaxy S7 edge
Galaxy S8+ * This device requires the latest software update to use Samsung Pay
Tired of waiting. 1500$ on a phone and no Samsung pay. Android pay doesn't compare
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.