It's been a glorious past week for EVO 3D owners. It started off with HTC releasing the kernel source followed up by unrevoked and AlphaRev releasing their Revolutionary tool to obtain S-OFF and install a custom recovery. They call it a "developer preview" as it's meant for developers and power users alike to get started hacking away on the month old device. Although their site states that it's not perfectly easy to use for everyone, it actually isn't too bad. If you feel like taking the dive, follow me after the break.
I'll take you through the steps involved in this process, but be warned, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! We're not responsible for anything that happens to your phone.
- You'll want to make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled: Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > make sure it's checked
- Go to http://ww7.revolutionary.io
- Select your operating system (Windows or Linux only at this time)
- The download should start right away and you'll be prompted to obtain a beta key (we'll cover this in a sec)
- Extract the .zip file
- Run the file "revolutionary"
- A command prompt should appear and ask you for the beta key (the serial number should appear right next to this)
- Go back to the Revolutionary site, select your OS, device, HBOOT version, and enter the serial number from the previous step
- Generate the beta key
- Copy the beta key over to the command prompt window, press enter, and wait patiently. It took a little bit for the phone to reboot into fastboot and proceeded to reboot fastboot 4 times. On the third time S-OFF was shown.
- The command prompt window will then ask if you want to download and install ClockworkMod Recovery, type "y" for yes and press enter
- Congratulations, you have an HTC EVO 3D with S-OFF and a custom recovery installed! However, you don't have root yet!
- Reboot the phone. It may go through the hands free activation process, but just let it do it's thing.
- Follow this link to download a .zip you'll need to obtain root
- Transfer it to your SD card
- Reboot the phone into recovery
- Flash the zip from there, reboot, and you're all done!
You can now enjoy the spoils of a phone free from a locked bootloader thanks to some awesome developers!