What you need to know
- OnePlus is rolling out a new OxygenOS update for the OnePlus 8 Pro.
- The update comes with a 'fix' for the phone's Photochrom filter, which had caused some privacy concerns.
- It also brings battery life improvements and fixes the issue with HD video playback on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
In late May, OnePlus rolled out an update to disable the color filter camera on the global variants of the OnePlus 8 Pro. Two weeks later, the company pushed an updated to re-enable the 'x-ray' color filter camera. In India, however, the flagship phone went on sale with the color filter camera disabled out of the box. OnePlus is now rolling out a new OxygenOS update that is claimed to "fix" the issue with the Photochrom filter.
As reported by XDA Developers, the new OxygenOS 10.5.10 update for the OnePlus 8 Pro is now rolling out to users in Europe and brings an "adjusted Photochrom filter." Instead of actually fixing the problem, OnePlus has simply ported the Photochrom mode to the phone's wide-angle camera. The dedicated color filter camera is no longer being utilized. So while OnePlus 8 Pro users can now start using the Photochrom mode again, the update has made the fourth camera sensor on the back of the phone redundant.
Multiple users today on XDA and Twitter (@linuxct and @niklasstrommen) have noticed that the Photochrom mode in the camera app seems to be using the wide-angle camera rather than the actual color filter camera. See this video by linuxct as a demonstration. pic.twitter.com/crXmMSpd4FMultiple users today on XDA and Twitter (@linuxct and @niklasstrommen) have noticed that the Photochrom mode in the camera app seems to be using the wide-angle camera rather than the actual color filter camera. See this video by linuxct as a demonstration. pic.twitter.com/crXmMSpd4F— Mishaal Rahman (@MishaalRahman) July 7, 2020July 7, 2020
Aside from the "adjusted Photochrom filter," the update also brings a few optimizations and bug fixes. OnePlus claims to have optimized the power consumption performance of the system, which should result in improved battery life. It has also fixed the HD playback issue with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. For users in India, the update enables Band 46 CA combo. The June 2020 Android security patch is included as well.
Here's the full changelog:
- Optimized the touch and interaction experience
- Optimized the power consumption performance of the system, battery life extended to be longer than ever
- Optimized the high temperature warning to improve user experience
- Fixed the failure to full-charge when battery was charged to 90% and above in a few circumstances
- Fixed the issue with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video unable to play HD video on some machines
- Fixed known issues and improved system stability
- Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.06
- Adjusted Photochrom filter (OnePlus 8 Pro only)
- Improved the shooting experience with camera and improved stability
- Added the file disk section in file manager: now conveniently upload and store all your files on OnePlus Cloud seamlessly (India only)
- Band 46 CA combo enabled for India Network (India only)
- mproved the stability of communication
- Improved the performance and stability of Wi-Fi transfers
- Optimized network latency for online games and improved the smoothness
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.