The Jaybird X3 offers several improvements over its predecessor, but it isn't without its share of problems. Thankfully, most of the issues have been fixed over the course of the year via firmware updates. Here's how you can install the latest firmware on your Jaybird X3 and keep your earbuds updated.
Products Used In This Guide
- Amazon: Jaybird X3 (opens in new tab) ($124)
How to update the firmware on the Jaybird X3
One of the main reasons to update the firmware on your Jaybird X3 is to enhance the functionality of the earbuds. The latest version of the firmware (1.4.1) reduces the volume of the voice prompts, a common complaint among users. Once the update is installed, voice levels for the prompts will automatically be lowered — no user intervention needed.
- Go to Jaybird's Firmware Update Assistant page.
- Select the Jaybird X3.
- Download the Firmware Update Assistant for Windows or Mac.
- Launch the Firmware Update Assistant app after installation.
- Connect the bundled USB cable to the Jaybird X3 and hook up the other end to your computer.
- Line up the Jaybird X3's inline remote onto the charging cradle but do not fully clip it in yet.
- Press the power button while simultaneously inserting the inline remote into the charging clip.
- The LED on the inline remote will light up, following which the firmware update will start.
- The update process takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
Alongside the new firmware, Jaybird has fixed Windows-specific issues that prevented users from installing the requisite drivers for the earbuds. The latest version of the Firmware Update Assistant app includes signed drivers that automatically recognize the Jaybird X3, making the update process smoother for Windows users.
Our top picks
One of the best workout earbuds available today
The Jaybird X3 continues to be a great option if you're in the market for workout earbuds. The small profile and included wingtips ensure a comfortable fit even during the most intense of workout sessions, and the earbuds offer 8-hour battery life between charges.
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.