Monster of a flagship smartphone hits Korea next week, rest of the world to come
LG today officially launched the Optimus G, its newest flagship Android smartphone with specs that, on paper, should send even the most jaded smartphone nerd into a bit of a frenzy. It'll be available in Korea as of next week, with announcements for the rest of the world to come later. Let's recap, shall we?
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor running at 1.5 GHz
- 4.7-inch True HD IPS PLUS display at 1280x768 resolution, with a 15:9 aspect ratio
- 32GB on-board storage
- 2GB RAM
- 13 MP rear camera (also shoots at 8 MP), 1.3MP front-facing camera
- 2100 mAh battery for 15 hours talk time, 335 hours standby
Plus the other bells and whistles you've come to expect. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. LG has teamed up the impressive hardware with what it's calling "a creative and engaging UX" that'll let you "live without boundaries." We'll have to see about that, of course, but LG's given us a primer on some of the more major functions:
- There's QSlide, which puts two screens on the display at once, at lets you work on both at the same time.
- Live zooming lets you get close-up to videos -- up to five times closer while it's playing.
- Dual Scren Dual play mirrors the smartphone to a TV and also lets you have different content on each at the same time.
- QuickMemo lets you add notes to a screen shot.
- Screen Zooming, well, it enlarges the screen, letting you zoom into lists, e-mail, etc.
- Application Link is like a time-based launcher, firing up after your alarm goes off, so apps are ready to go when you are.
LG's also touting a new, enhanced user interface -- which we've yet to see -- along with some enhancements to the camera applications. We've got the full presser for you after the break.
LG TO CHANGE MARKET DYNAMICS WITH OPTIMUS G BY FOCUSING ON DIFFERENTIATED USER EXPERIENCE
LG’s New Flagship LTE Device Offers Superior User Experience for “Living Without Boundaries”
SEOUL, Sep. 18, 2012 – Today LG announced the launch of the Optimus G, a new premium flagship device offering a unique User Experience (UX) supported by innovative hardware performance. The powerful hardware included in the Optimus G allows for the possibility of such a creative and engaging UX which will enable Optimus G users to “live without boundaries.”
With a powerful quad-core processor, Snapdragon™ S4 Pro, as its base and industry best technologies for enhanced viewing and longer battery life, LG adds the finishing touches on the Optimus G with a beautiful sleek design and innovative UX features. The offerings in the Optimus G will provide users an experience currently unavailable
on any other smartphone.
“The Optimus G is a groundbreaking premium device not only in the history of LG but also in the smartphone industry,” said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “With the Optimus G, users will be able to experience unsurpassed UX features that will allow them to perform tasks that really enhance their daily lives.”
New Form of Cross-Tasking and Engaging UX
With reliable and speedy performance, LG’s Optimus G doesn’t solely enable multitasking but “cross-tasking” of activities without limitations. If multi-tasking applies to running various applications at the same time, cross-tasking applies to complex tasks that can be completed simultaneously without having to compromise other tasks. Some
new UX features that will be included into the Optimus G to showcase its cross-tasking and engaging capabilities are:
- QSlide Function shows two different screens simultaneously on one display. As it doesn’t just show a part of the screen but the entire screen of both functions, the user can complete two tasks concurrently – such as sending a text
- message or searching the web while watching a video;
- Live Zooming enhances the video-watching experience as users can zoom in up to five times while the video is being streamed for a close-up of one’s child while watching a recorded video from a school recital;
- Dual Screen Dual Play not only allows mirroring between the smartphone and a TV, it also has the ability to display different content on each screen wirelessly. For example, a slide presentation can be displayed on the TV while the Optimus G shows the accompanying speaking notes;
- QuickMemo allows users to write, draw, or jot a memo with their finger directly on the captured screen for sharing instantly with others as an attachment or a URL. The QuickMemo can also be used as an overlay feature -
- like jotting down a number using the QuickMemo and directly dialing the number while the number is on the top layer;
- Screen Zooming allows for the zooming in and out of lists in music player, email, text messages and photo gallery. It also offers the ability to change the font size and screen layout;
- Application Link launches preset applications (email, calendar, weather, etc.) when the alarm is turned off – making preparation time in the morning go a little faster with all the information on your screen;
- Icon Personalizer allows users the ability to customize icons by editing size and adding images so the most frequently used apps can be most easily accessible.
In addition, smart and fun camera features in Optimus G will allow for capturing and seizing those special moments in our lives. Utilizing the industry’s highest resolution camera at 13MP, users will have the opportunity to capture their favorite scenes with:
- Smart Shutter senses camera vibration or the movement of the subject and adjusts the shutter speed for the best shot;
- Time Catch Shot enables the user to choose the best among various shots taken before the shutter button is pressed;
- Cheese Shutter takes photos easily with voice activation command just by saying cheese, kimchi, smile or even LG;
- Low Light Shot Noise Reduction employs a light monitoring system and activates when the camera is used in a low-light situation for the least amount of noise.
Design Masterpiece with Timeless Value
Inheriting LG’s design DNA and heritage, the blend of delicate design and technology placed the emphasis on simplicity with a completely black unibody form in the Optimus G. For this unique look, LG developed and patented the Crystal Reflection finish, which is applied to the back of the Optimus G for a luxurious look and feel. Crystal Reflection gives the Optimus G’s back cover the ability to display different patterns depending on the viewing angle and lighting. Also, the intricate polarized pattern, which sparkles under the sleek surface, creates a three-dimensional illusion that is eye-catching and exquisitely reminiscent of a jewel. And finally, laser cutting gives the Optimus G a clean finish with metallic highlights.
Unparalleled Technologies for Ultimate UX
The elegant yet sleek design and the imaginative UX experience displayed in the new Optimus G were possible thanks to a collection of technologies from industry-leading developers in their field.
As the first quad-core smartphone with LTE connectivity capabilities, Optimus G complements the enhanced UX features with unsurpassed speed and power from Qualcomm’s Snapdragon™ S4 Pro Quad-Core processor. The state-of-the-art display technologies such as the Zerogap Touch and True HD IPS Plus Display from LG Innotek
and LG Display harmonize to offer the slimmest, sharpest and clearest viewing experience yet. The new battery from LG Chem has a longer life of 800 cycles, asignificant improvement over existing mobile phone batteries. An ultra high-resolution, compact 13MP camera is employed in the Optimus G to offer the sharpest photos without pixelation – even when creating extra-large prints.
LG Optimus G will go on sale in Korea starting next week followed by key global markets in October.
- Chipset: 1.5GHz Krait CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro processor Quad-Core and LTE
- Operating System: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Network: 2G / 3G / LTE
- Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus (1280 x 768 pixels) / 15:9 ratio
- Memory: 32GB
- RAM: 2GB DDR
- Camera: 13.0MP or 8.0MP rear / 1.3MP front
- Battery: 2,100mAh (570Wh/L) / Talk time: 15 hours / Standby: 335 hours
- Size: 131.9 x 68.9 x 8.45mm
- Weight: 145g
- Other: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, USB2.0 HS, A-GPS, MHL and DLNA, NFC
- Related devices: