What you need to know
- The 2019 Pokémon World Championships are being held from August 16 to August 18, 2019.
- For the first time ever, there will be a Pokémon GO Invitational Tournament.
- One fan who registers will get to compete in this special new tournament.
- Anyone who wants to register needs to do so by July 31, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. PDT.
The 2019 Pokémon World Championships are coming up soon and with them is a special new event: for the first time ever, the Pokémon GO Invitational Tournament! This tournament will broadcast Trainer Battles on the main stage after the opening ceremony, which will be streamed on Twitch and YouTube.
That's not all though: any U.S. fan who is currently registered as spectator for the event has a chance of being selected to compete in the championship!
Here are the basic rules for the lucky fan who is chosen:
- Players will compete in a double-elimination tournament
- Each match will be best-of-five
- Battles will take place in the Great League with some additional restrictions
- Competitors must select a team of six Pokémon they'll choose between for the entire tournament
- None of the six Pokémon may be of the same species
You can check here for details on registration, other rules and everything else you'd need to know. If you're interested, make sure you register by July 31, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. PDT, as that is the cutoff period.
Even if you aren't selected, there'll be plenty to do. Fans attending will be able to try out the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games, as well as Pokémon Masters, which is a new upcoming Pokémon mobile title.
Technostalgia: A series about the Golden Age of mobile tech
Join us for a look back at the best (and worst) of Android and Google over the years in our series Technostalgia.
These are the best Android phones you can buy right now
There are so many great Android phones to buy, so it can be tough to know which one to buy. These are the best of the best at each price point.
Microsoft doesn't need to justify the existence of the Surface Duo
Some people, including our Andrew Martonik, think Microsoft shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt with the Surface Duo. This guest editorial from SomeGadgetGuy's Juan Carlos Bagnell disagrees.
With a phone as beautiful as the LG Velvet, you'll want to get a great case
It can be tough to find a great case for a new phone, especially for a phone with a unique and wonderful design like the LG Velvet. But thankfully, there are a lot of solid case choices out there and these are our favorites to keep your LG Velvet safe from when "life happens".