WhatsApp doesn't have password protection, but the service lets you secure your messages with biometric authentication instead. If you enable this feature, you'll have to unlock the app with your fingerprint to view your chats. Here's how to get started with fingerprint lock on WhatsApp for Android.
How to password protect your WhatsApp chats on Android
- Open WhatsApp from the app drawer or home screen.
- Tap the action overflow menu (three vertical dots) on the top right corner.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Privacy.
Scroll down to see all the options.
- Tap Fingerprint lock.
- Toggle Unlock with fingerprint to On.
Verify using your fingerprint to enable the feature.
- Once active, you'll be able to set a time for when WhatsApp automatically locks. There are three options in the Automatically lock settings:
- Immediately: Locks WhatsApp as soon as you exit the app. You'll need to use your fingerprint every time to view messages.
- After 1 minute: Locks WhatsApp one minute after you exit the app.
- After 30 minutes: Locks WhatsApp 30 minutes after you exit the app. Use this if you need to secure your account but don't want to unlock every time.
You can also disable message previews from showing up in the notification shade. Toggle Show content in notifications to Off to make sure messages don't show up on the lock screen or notification panel.
You will still be able to take audio and video calls even when WhatsApp is locked, as the feature is primarily aimed at securing your messages. Fingerprint lock brings much-needed privacy controls to your WhatsApp account, and if you're worried about someone else reading your messages, you now know how to set it up and use.
All the power you need
The Galaxy S20 is the best phone money can buy today. It comes with the latest hardware, including a stunning 120Hz AMOLED display, and features like Samsung Knox ensure your data is secured at all times. You also get Samsung Pay for seamless mobile payments at retail stores and online.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Time to dump Chrome: 8 alternative desktop web browsers
If you getting frustrated with the lack of privacy, slower speeds or difficulty using extensions in Chrome, it's time to switch to one of these web browsers.
These are the best apps you can use to edit those photos you've been taking
What do you do before sharing a photo? You edit it! These are the best photo editing apps that you can get on your Android device today!
These apps make it easy to check the specs of your phone with ease
While the Settings app on your phone does a decent job at telling you some of the specs on your smartphone or tablet, it doesn't tell you everything. Luckily, there are a plethora of apps that allow you to not only check your phone's specs, but so much more.