Getting your children ready for bed has been a problem that parents have been trying to solve for ages. Whether it be yelling at them or posting a paper schedule, some parents need a bit of an assist when it comes to bedtime. Amazon has a solution for those bedtime troubles with Alexa Routines. Compatible with all versions of the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Echo Plus, Echo Flex, and Echo Studio, Routines makes not only controlling your smart home easy but also gets your children reacquainted with the school week wake-up and bedtime schedule. Here's a quick guide showing you how it all works.
What you'll need:
- Kid friendly speaker: Amazon Echo Dot Kids Edition (3rd Generation) ($60 at Amazon) -Assistant manager: Amazon Alexa app for Android (Free at the Google Play Store)
- Parental controls: Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (From $3/month at Amazon)
Setting up your first Routine (Bedtime)
- Open the Alexa App on your smartphone.
- Tap the menu icon (three lines) in the upper left corner of your screen and select Routines.
Tap the + icon in the top right corner to create your first routine.
- Tap the + icon next to "When this happens" to select a trigger phrase or action.
- Select Voice.
Type in your voice command. For this instance, type "It's bedtime" and tap Next.
- Tap the + icon next to Add Action to enter the actions that will happen once you say your trigger phrase.
- Select Messaging.
Select Send Announcement.
- Type in a message that you want Alexa to announce and tap Next.
- Select the device that you want the announcement to be made from and tap Next.
Confirm that the announcement will be made by tapping Next.
- When you're finished creating your routine, select Save to enable the routine and get ready to simplify bedtime.
Repeat the process with any additional devices or settings you want to include in the routine.
You can do this for any type of routine your imagination can come up with. You can even have Alexa play a lullaby or read a story to your young children to help get them to sleep when you can't be in the room.
Our top equipment picks
If you're going to create some Alexa routines, you're going to need an Alexa product. In our humble opinion, the best one to get for your little ones is the Echo Dot Kids Edition.
Endless entertainment for the whole family
This rainbow ice cream sandwich of a speaker is ready to meet your family and answer all those curious questions your kids have about life and animals and the universe. FreeTime Unlimited's robust parental controls and quality content ensure your kids can enjoy Alexa safely.
Amazon Alexa App (Free at the Google Play Store)
Manage your Amazon devices, interact with Alexa, and check off those to-dos with this free app.
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (From $3/mo at Amazon)
The Echo Dot Kids Edition comes with a year of Unlimited, but keep in mind you'll need to pay for it after that year is up or eliminate many of the skills and content sources available to your kid.
A previous version of this article was written by Clinton Bowman.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The best Alexa-compatible smart lights
Amazon's Echo ecosystem of smart speakers is great for controlling smart bulbs from brands like LIFX and Philips Hue. The only trick is choosing the right bulb.
These are the best smart plugs that work with Alexa and Google Assistant
Save on your energy costs with smart plugs that work with Google Assistant and Alexa. Here are some of our favorites that are compatible with multiple smart voice assistants.
Here are the best kitchen products you can control by voice using Alexa
Smart products aren't just for the living room and bedroom of the home: the kitchen is the perfect place to take full advantage of wireless connectivity and, in particular, voice control. If you're in the kitchen, you're probably busy preparing a meal, entertaining guests, or cleaning up, so being able to seamlessly control things with your voice can come in really handy.