One of the best parts about Google Photos is the automatic face tagging feature, which makes it easy to quickly find photos of your friends without having to scroll aimlessly through years of backups. Up until recently, though, you could only label faces Google Photos had already detected. Now, you can add those face tags yourself, with a few caveats.
How to manually tag faces
Tagging faces is a great way to easily index your photos, but before, you needed to let Google do all of the work, with the only manual option being confirming automatic tags. Now, you can do the tagging yourself in just a few simple steps.
- From your Google Photos gallery, tap a photo with the face or faces you want to tag.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner, or just swipe up to access additional options.
- Under People, you'll either see faces Google has already identified, or simply see "x faces available to add." Tap the pencil icon to edit these labels.
- Under Available to Add, tap a face you'd like to manually tag. You can also tap the minus (-) icon on incorrect face tags to remove the label so you can fix it yourself.
- Tap a face you've previously identified in the People & Pets grid, or tap the plus (+) button in the upper right corner to create a new person label.
There are still a few limitations with tagging people. You can't tag a photo if Google hasn't already found any faces, and you'll still need to jump into the People & Pets album later to name new faces. Still, this is a quicker way to tag photos than before, when you needed to wait for faces to pop up in the People & Pets album automatically. Take an afternoon to tag any of your important photos and take back your photo gallery!
Phone used in this guide
Best mobile camera
The best camera that can fit in your pocket
The Pixel 4 isn't just a great Android phone, but an incredible photography tool with two great cameras that take stunning photos, even in the dead of night. Of course, you can back up all of those great shots to Google Photos.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
With a phone as beautiful as the LG Velvet, you'll want to get a great case
It can be tough to find a great case for a new phone, especially for a phone with a unique and wonderful design like the LG Velvet. But thankfully, there are a lot of solid case choices out there and these are our favorites to keep your LG Velvet safe from when "life happens".
These cases will keep your Moto G Fast moving at the speed of lightning
When it comes to finding the right case for your phone, you want something that will keep up with your day-to-day life and everything that comes along with it. This sentiment rings true for the Moto G Fast, even with its budget price point. So grab yourself a case and keep your G Fast chugging along.
These are the best Xiaomi phones you can buy in 2020
Xiaomi is the brand to beat in the value segment, and it offers excellent phones ranging from $100 entry-level options all the way to $700 flagships. These are the best Xiaomi phones you can buy in 2020.