One of the best parts about Google Photos is the automatic face tagging feature, which makes it easy to quickly find photos of your friends without having to scroll aimlessly through years of backups. Up until recently, though, you could only label faces Google Photos had already detected. Now, you can add those face tags yourself, with a few caveats.
How to manually tag faces
Tagging faces is a great way to easily index your photos, but before, you needed to let Google do all of the work, with the only manual option being confirming automatic tags. Now, you can do the tagging yourself in just a few simple steps.
- From your Google Photos gallery, tap a photo with the face or faces you want to tag.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner, or just swipe up to access additional options.
- Under People, you'll either see faces Google has already identified, or simply see "x faces available to add." Tap the pencil icon to edit these labels.
- Under Available to Add, tap a face you'd like to manually tag. You can also tap the minus (-) icon on incorrect face tags to remove the label so you can fix it yourself.
- Tap a face you've previously identified in the People & Pets grid, or tap the plus (+) button in the upper right corner to create a new person label.
There are still a few limitations with tagging people. You can't tag a photo if Google hasn't already found any faces, and you'll still need to jump into the People & Pets album later to name new faces. Still, this is a quicker way to tag photos than before, when you needed to wait for faces to pop up in the People & Pets album automatically. Take an afternoon to tag any of your important photos and take back your photo gallery!
Phone used in this guide
Best mobile camera
The best camera that can fit in your pocket
The Pixel 4 isn't just a great Android phone, but an incredible photography tool with two great cameras that take stunning photos, even in the dead of night. Of course, you can back up all of those great shots to Google Photos.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The best flip phones you can buy in 2020
Smartphones are great, but they aren't for everybody. Whether you're after a simpler experience or just want the cheapest possible phone for calls, texts, and light browsing, these are the flip phones that should be on your radar.
Interested in 5G and don't know where to start? How about here?
4G LTE is so yesterday. 5G is here with faster speeds for everything you do, and if you want access to the new wireless network, these are the 5G-capable gadgets you can go out and buy right now.
These are the best smartphones you can get from Walmart
Walmart has a surprising selection of quality smartphones, ranging from prepaid options, unlocked phones, and those for use on carriers like Straight Talk. Here are the best smartphones you can get from Walmart today!