Genshin Impact Update 2.5: Release date, characters, and everything new
Genshin Impact 2.4 may have just released a month ago, but miHoYo is already looking toward Update 2.5, never content to just let one of the best Android games sit idle. Inline with its regular update cadence, 2.5 arrives on Feb. 16. Though miHoYo is only adding one new playable character this time around — Yae Miko — there will be plenty of activities to do to keep players busy. Here's everything we know about Genshin Impact Update 2.5 so far.
Genshin Impact Update 2.5: When the Sakura Bloom
Update 2.5 continues to focus on Inazuma, both above and below ground. MiHoYo notes that "darkness of unknown origins" is looming in Enkanomiya, and this is going to be a formidable threat to travelers. To help throughout the journey, players will be given a new item, the Bokuso Box, able to repel the darkness and its corrosive effects. Elsewhere, the Raiden Shogun's quest continues, and you'll need to finish it before beginning Yae Miko's story quest.
Genshin Impact Update 2.5: Yae Miko joins the roster
Yae Miko is confirmed to join the growing roster as a playable character in Update 2.5. She was first introduced in Update 2.0 as the Guuji of the Grand Narukami Shrine in Inazuma. Over the course of Chapter 2's Archon Quest, players learned she's an old friend of the Raiden Shogun and can take on the form of a fox.
- Yae Miko: Yae Miko is a five-star Electro catalyst user. Her Elemental Skill and Burst focus on dealing large amounts of Electro damage, summoning Sesshou Sakura and Tenko Thunderbolts onto the battlefield. Whenever a Sesshou Sakura is destroyed by her Elemental Burst, her Elemental Skill cooldown is reset.
A four-star character is usually added alongside the new five-star character in each update, but miHoYo seems to be skipping that tradition this time.
Banner reruns are set to include Kokomi and the Raiden Shogun. If you missed out on either of these characters the first time, they make some powerful additions to your team if you need a healer or DPS.
- Raiden Shogun: Raiden Shogun is a fire-star Electro polearm user and is the vessel for the Electro Archon. She spends most of her time in the Plane of Euthymia and is obsessed with the idea of eternity.
- Sangonomiya Kokomi: A five-star Hydro catalyst user, Kokomi rules over Watatsumi Island in Inazuma and excels as a support healer.
Genshin Impact Update 2.5: New weapons, monsters, and events
As always, Update 2.5 delivers a host of new events, weapons, and enemies. Players should prepare accordingly, because the unknown darkness I previously mentioned arrives with the Three Realms Gateway Offering event.
- Three Realms Gateway Offering: Players will need to repel a corrosive darkness in Enkanomiya with the help of a new tool at their disposal. Upgrade the Bokuso Box to strengthen its resistance against the corrosion.
- Of Drink A-Dreaming: The Angel's Share tavern in Mondstadt will begin hosting an event that sees players create various drinks through some simple mini-games.
- Divine Ingenuity: Ever wanted to create your own domain? You can do just that in Divine Ingenuity. Players will be able to customize the terrain, completion criteria, mechanisms, and more. Think of it as a more advanced version of the Serenitea Pot.
- Hyakunin Ikki: Take on new challenges in what's being dubbed a free-for-all fighting tournament.
- Overflowing Mastery: Complete domains and use original resin to gain new rewards.
- Kagura's Verity (five-star cataylst)
- Oathsworn Eye (four-star catalyst)
- Shadowy Husks: With three different varieties (Standard Bearers, Line Breakers, and Defenders), Shadowy Husks roam Enkanomiya waiting to use their unique abilities against any unexpecting travelers.
Genshin Impact Update 2.5: Release date
Genshin Impact Update 2.5 goes live on Feb. 16, 2022, on track with miHoYo's usual 42-day update cadence. Server maintenance usually begins around 6 a.m. China Standard Time (5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT), lasting anywhere between four to six hours. Players are compensated 60 Primogems per hour that servers are down.
Genshin Impact gets better and better with each new update. Jump in right now, and you'll find dozens of hours of content that you can play through as you explore the world of Teyvat.
- Free at Google Play Store (opens in new tab)
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
Jennifer Locke has been playing video games nearly her entire life. You can find her posting pictures of her dog and obsessing over PlayStation and Xbox, Star Wars, and other geeky things.
Having a rather high-performance phone every now and then I decide it's time to try this game everybody talks about. Then it takes hours to download the game and takes up a significant chunk of storage. Then it disconnects due to my poor rural internet. Then I remember why I didn't want to play a huge online-only single player game and promptly delete it.