Good news and bad news here, boys and girls. The good news is that the update being pushed out to the Droid Eris can be applied manually. The bad news is that what we have is a full-on ROM flash and not a mere update, so your phone will be reset to zero. For some of us, not a big deal. For others, a huge deal.
Anyhoo, join us after the break and we'll show you how it's done.
As a reminder, here's what's new in the update:
- While on a call and the phone's in screensaver mode, pressing the End key takes it out of screensaver mode. A second press ends the call.
- In-call mute and speakerphone icon "enhanced."
- First-call delay after initial activation should be fixed.
- Better switch from 1x to 3G.
- Don't have to select a default e-mail after a soft reset.
- Better SMS and MMS delivery.
- 80-character SMS and MMS subject lines now allowed.
- Better picture messaging from LG phones.
Now, how to get it:
- Hit up this thread in the AndroidCentral (hey, that's us!) forums. Download the Eris_MR1.zip file in Post No. 9.
- Unzip that file to your desktop (or wherever).
- Connect your Droid Eris, and run the RUU (ROM update utility) file. Follow any instructions.
Again, this is a full ROM update and will erase the data on your phone. It's not like the manual update to the Droid we saw earlier this week, which also explains why is so much larger.
Of course, you could just wait for the update to be pushed out to your Eris. But where's the fun in that?
- Filed under: