Froyo has shown it's pretty face for Motorola Droid users, and like all the other OTA's the Android community has jumped on it and worked up a method to force the update without waiting for Big Red to send it your way. It's pretty easy, doesn't require root and is the official upgrade just as if you had been waiting for it to push to your device.
- Grab the update file
- Place it on the root of your SD card
- Power down, then restart while holding the X key to get to the bootloader
- When you see the exclamation mark, hold the volume up button and press the camera button
- Choose apply sdcard:update.zip
- Ignore the cache error :)