Verizon's new data plans broken down in complete detail
Having a hard time wrapping your head around the upcoming changes to Verizon's smartphone data plans? We just got all the dirty details dropped in our laps. Charts, e-mails, the whole kit and kaboodle, folks.
Let's start with what you see above. That's the official chart from the official training document (which you can see in full after the break.) As previously rumored, smartphone plans will start at 2GB for $30 a month, with $10 per gigabyte if you go over. There also are 5GB/$50 and 10GB for $80 plans. Unlimited plans are dead. These rates apply to 3G smartphones and 4G LTE smartphones.
Mobile hotspot access will cost $20 a month for 2GB of data.
Other points to note (many of which are detailed in an internal e-mail we've posted after the break):
- If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.
- You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)
- If you add a line to an existing account, you'll not be able to chose the $29.99 unlimited data plan.
- If you're a new customer between now and July 7, you'll still be able to choose the $29.99 plan.
So if you're in the market for a Verizon phone and want to get in on the current unlimited plans before the major changes take effect, you've got two weeks, folks.
Now continue past the break to see the full documents and e-mail.
Verizon indirect retailer e-mail
As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.
$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11
- EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
- EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
- EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
- NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package
- NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan
- BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have
- BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
- Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)
- -- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )
New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:
- $30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage
- $50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage
- $80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage
So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.
Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan
If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.
Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.
These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)
SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)
PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.
Please call, text or e-mail me any questions or concerns you might have.
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
"If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans."
Ok rant over
My question...... I already have unlimited data, but if I were to add tethering later on, will I still be able to do it for $20, or will I need to upgrade to their new plans.
I renewed for a 2 year deal in May of 2011 and if I changed the primary account holder name, my contract would be reduced by one year, ending in July of 2012. They say my services would be grandfathered. Does that seem odd to anyone else...? BTW - I didn't change my account.
If you think you will go over this cap? Simple...drop another 20 dollars for 3GB more. If you can't afford it? Use wifi more or switch to Sprint. It's not that hard to figure out people.