In Japan, the Sony Xperia Z4 is what you'll find in carrier stores. Over in Europe a very similar phone goes by the name Xperia Z3+. And now in the United States, Verizon and Sony bring us the Xperia Z4v.
So what's the difference between these three, beyond the obvious geographical distinctions. We'll take a quick look after the break.
Here's the full breakdown of Xperia Z4, Z3+ and Z4v specs:
|Category||Xperia Z4||Xperia Z3+||Xperia Z4v|
|Dimensions||"About" 146mm × 72mm × 6.9mm||146.3 x 71.9 x 6.9 mm||144.4 x 72.3 x 8.6mm|
|Weight||144 grams||144 grams||160 grams|
|Display||5.2-inch Triluminos Display for Mobile at 1920x1080||5.2" 1080p FHD (1920x1080), IPS display
sRGB130% TRILUMINOS 700cd brightness
X-Reality for mobile
|5.2-inch IPS, WQHD (2560x1440), sRGB 130& TRILUMINOS|
|Memory||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB|
|SD Memory Slot||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810|
|Main Camera||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS|
|Video recording||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p|
|Flash||Main camera only||Main camera only||Main camera only|
|Waterproof/Dustproof||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68|
|Wifi||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support|
|Colors||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||Black, White|
|Wireless Charging||No||No||Qi + PowerMat supported|
|Sold In||Japan||Europe||U.S. (Verizon Wireless)|
The bottom line
- The Xperia Z4 and Z3+ are basically the same phone. There's some discrepancy in the reported physical size, but that's likely because Sony Mobile Japan is rounding up (or down) in its spec listings.
- The Xperia Z4v is thicker and heavier than its international cousins.
- That's because it has a slightly bigger battery — 3,000mAh versus 2,930mAh — and wireless charging support.
- Verizon's Z4v also ups the screen resolution to Quad HD (2560x1440) compared to Full HD (1920x1080) in the Z4 and Z3+. The screen size is the same across all three, at 5.2 inches.
- The Z4v misses out on the "copper" and "aqua green" color variants of the global Sony flagships.
- The Z4v also seems to use a different frame design — there appears to be more plastic in the join between body and screen compared to the metal trim of the Z3+ and Z4.
Stay tuned for full reviews of Sony's new flagship phones in both Europe and the U.S.
The S20 Fan Edition is a whole lot of phone for a great price
The Galaxy S20 Fan Edition is the latest in Samsung's barrage of new devices. It features a plastic backing, as well a flat display, but is otherwise nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the S20 lineup — and most importantly, it's hundreds of dollars cheaper than even the standard S20.
Google could soon face an antitrust probe in China
A report from Reuters has claimed that Google could soon face an antitrust probe in China for abusing Android’s market dominance to stifle competition.
Just give me Google Photos and I'll buy the Amazon Echo Show 10 ASAP
At a recent virtual event, Amazon announced a near-perfect smart screen speaker in the Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen). I say near-perfect because, without this one feature, I'm not sure I can be persuaded to remove my Nest Hub Max from my kitchen counter.
Keep your Galaxy Note 20 Ultra shatter-free with these screen protectors
With the Note 20 Ultra, you're getting one of the best displays currently available on a smartphone. Want to make sure it stays that way? Get a screen protector!