In Japan, the Sony Xperia Z4 is what you'll find in carrier stores. Over in Europe a very similar phone goes by the name Xperia Z3+. And now in the United States, Verizon and Sony bring us the Xperia Z4v.
So what's the difference between these three, beyond the obvious geographical distinctions. We'll take a quick look after the break.
Here's the full breakdown of Xperia Z4, Z3+ and Z4v specs:
|Category||Xperia Z4||Xperia Z3+||Xperia Z4v|
|Dimensions||"About" 146mm × 72mm × 6.9mm||146.3 x 71.9 x 6.9 mm||144.4 x 72.3 x 8.6mm|
|Weight||144 grams||144 grams||160 grams|
|Display||5.2-inch Triluminos Display for Mobile at 1920x1080||5.2" 1080p FHD (1920x1080), IPS display
sRGB130% TRILUMINOS 700cd brightness
X-Reality for mobile
|5.2-inch IPS, WQHD (2560x1440), sRGB 130& TRILUMINOS|
|Memory||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB|
|SD Memory Slot||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810|
|Main Camera||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS|
|Video recording||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p|
|Flash||Main camera only||Main camera only||Main camera only|
|Waterproof/Dustproof||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68|
|Wifi||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support|
|Colors||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||Black, White|
|Wireless Charging||No||No||Qi + PowerMat supported|
|Sold In||Japan||Europe||U.S. (Verizon Wireless)|
The bottom line
- The Xperia Z4 and Z3+ are basically the same phone. There's some discrepancy in the reported physical size, but that's likely because Sony Mobile Japan is rounding up (or down) in its spec listings.
- The Xperia Z4v is thicker and heavier than its international cousins.
- That's because it has a slightly bigger battery — 3,000mAh versus 2,930mAh — and wireless charging support.
- Verizon's Z4v also ups the screen resolution to Quad HD (2560x1440) compared to Full HD (1920x1080) in the Z4 and Z3+. The screen size is the same across all three, at 5.2 inches.
- The Z4v misses out on the "copper" and "aqua green" color variants of the global Sony flagships.
- The Z4v also seems to use a different frame design — there appears to be more plastic in the join between body and screen compared to the metal trim of the Z3+ and Z4.
Stay tuned for full reviews of Sony's new flagship phones in both Europe and the U.S.