In Japan, the Sony Xperia Z4 is what you'll find in carrier stores. Over in Europe a very similar phone goes by the name Xperia Z3+. And now in the United States, Verizon and Sony bring us the Xperia Z4v.
So what's the difference between these three, beyond the obvious geographical distinctions. We'll take a quick look after the break.
Here's the full breakdown of Xperia Z4, Z3+ and Z4v specs:
|Category||Xperia Z4||Xperia Z3+||Xperia Z4v|
|Dimensions||"About" 146mm × 72mm × 6.9mm||146.3 x 71.9 x 6.9 mm||144.4 x 72.3 x 8.6mm|
|Weight||144 grams||144 grams||160 grams|
|Display||5.2-inch Triluminos Display for Mobile at 1920x1080||5.2" 1080p FHD (1920x1080), IPS display
sRGB130% TRILUMINOS 700cd brightness
X-Reality for mobile
|5.2-inch IPS, WQHD (2560x1440), sRGB 130& TRILUMINOS|
|Memory||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB|
|SD Memory Slot||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)||microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (maximum 128GB)|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810|
|Main Camera||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS||20.7-megapixel Exmor RS|
|Video recording||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p||Main camera: 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps Front camera: 1080p|
|Flash||Main camera only||Main camera only||Main camera only|
|Waterproof/Dustproof||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68||IP65 and IP68|
|Wifi||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support||IEEE802.11a / b / g / n (2.4GHz / 5GHz) / ac compliant, MIMO support|
|Colors||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||White, Black, Copper, Aqua Green||Black, White|
|Wireless Charging||No||No||Qi + PowerMat supported|
|Sold In||Japan||Europe||U.S. (Verizon Wireless)|
The bottom line
- The Xperia Z4 and Z3+ are basically the same phone. There's some discrepancy in the reported physical size, but that's likely because Sony Mobile Japan is rounding up (or down) in its spec listings.
- The Xperia Z4v is thicker and heavier than its international cousins.
- That's because it has a slightly bigger battery — 3,000mAh versus 2,930mAh — and wireless charging support.
- Verizon's Z4v also ups the screen resolution to Quad HD (2560x1440) compared to Full HD (1920x1080) in the Z4 and Z3+. The screen size is the same across all three, at 5.2 inches.
- The Z4v misses out on the "copper" and "aqua green" color variants of the global Sony flagships.
- The Z4v also seems to use a different frame design — there appears to be more plastic in the join between body and screen compared to the metal trim of the Z3+ and Z4.
Stay tuned for full reviews of Sony's new flagship phones in both Europe and the U.S.
Zoom apologizes over security and privacy issues and freezes new features
Zoom has issued a public apology over several security and privacy flaws highlighted in its service. It has vowed to freeze new features for 90 days whilst it fixes them.
Aukey 26800mAh 65W USB-C battery review: My new go-to travel power bank
There's been a steady improvement in really big portable batteries with high outputs for us with laptops as they shift to USB-C, and the latest I'm relying on is the Aukey 26000mAh portable battery.
Bethesda won't be holding a digital E3 showcase this year
We have some unfortunate news to share (and no, it's not an April Fool's joke). Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that it will not be holding a digital E3 showcase this year. Instead, news about Bethesda games will be shared in different ways in the months ahead.
Interested in 5G and don't know where to start? How about here?
4G LTE is so yesterday. 5G is here with faster speeds for everything you do, and if you want access to the new wireless network, these are the 5G-capable gadgets you can go out and buy right now.