What you need to know
- Sony revealed the design of the PS5 today.
- The company also revealed an all-digital edition that will launch alongside it.
- Sony did not announce a release date or price for either console.
Sony revealed the official design of the PS5 today, and we received a little surprise in addition to the console itself. There will be two PS5 consoles hitting the market this holiday. One will be the standard PS5 that accepts discs, and the other will be an all-digital edition, much like what Microsoft did with the Xbox One S.
Per a press release, acessories that will accompany the consoles include:
- PULSE 3D wireless headset – offering 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones;
- HD Camera – featuring dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments;
- Media Remote – a remote control with built-in microphone to navigate movies and streaming services with ease; and
- DualSense Charging Station – for convenient charging of two DualSense Wireless Controllers.
The company did not announce a release date or a price for either console. We should be finding out more information later this summer.
PlayStation features an 825GB SSD and runs at 10.28 TFLOPS (variable) at 2.23 GHz with a Custom RDNA 2 GPU. Both its CPU and GPU are less powerful than the Xbox Series X on paper, but it makes up for some of that with an impressive I/O throughput of 5.5GB/s (Raw) and 8-9GB/s (Compressed).
I really like both of them, my only question is what happens if you get the digital console and want to play a ps4 game on disc? Will I have to get the standard one for that?
This design isn't the best Sony could've came up with imo.. it's so ugly. It reminds me of the statue in everybody loves Raymond that his mom makes... And I can't unsee it.
I love it! Going in on all digital! No need for discs collecting dust
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.