What you need to know
- Official camera samples from the Pixel 4 have leaked online.
- They showcase low-light photography, astrophotography, and macro shots.
- Unsurprisingly, the images look really darn good.
Ever since the original Pixel debuted in 2016, Google's asserted itself as one of the market leaders when it comes to smartphone photography. The Pixel 4 is expected to continue that trend, and a new leak showcases exactly what its cameras will be capable of.
Thanks to the folks at 9to5Google, we have a batch of camera samples from the Pixel 4 that'll be used by Google to market the phone.
The main rear camera of the Pixel 4 is expected to be a 12.2MP sensor once again, and the images taken with it look excellent. There are a few macro shots that showcase just how much detail it's able to grab, there are some low-light images that highlight the Pixel 4's ability to produce vibrant colors in darker environments, and the astrophotography samples are especially impressive.
A couple of images taken with the front-facing camera are shown off as well. It is interesting to note that these pictures come in at 4.5MP compared to the Pixel 3's 8MP selfie camera, but nonetheless, the results are quite good.
I don't think anyone had any doubt about the Pixel 4's camera capabilities, but it's reassuring to see legit photos that were taken with the phone.
Google's holding an event on October 15 where we're expecting the Pixel 4 to be officially unveiled, so we don't have too much longer to go before everything is made official.
Google Pixel 4: Leaks, Release Date, Specs, and News!
That alley shot is "holy crap" good. I know this phone will have the best camera, the Pixel 3 still hangs with and even beats the S10 and iPhone 11 in many cases.
Won't believe this as real quality until I see proper reviews
Pretty darn good! 1. Leaves: Mmm, I've done better than that.
2. Stars: Nice. Wish we had access to the EXIF data. I've gotten some ok shots, but I was fighting a LOT of light pollution. I ended up using an exposure time of 32 seconds because the ISO was dialed down to 78, and an aperture of 1.61 on the U12+.
3. Food shot: Ok but not as crisp as expected (The photo, not the bread!).
4. Alley: Wow, just wow. You can tell there's lots of processing (like around the man's face), but it sure looks good!
5 Man and dog at dusk: Tough shot, but they pulled it off. There is an artificial light source to the right, but you can also tell the shutter speed was fairly quick because that dog was not holding still. 6. Couple in the woods: Nice, but with a few flaws. The man's left ear is blurred. The grass in the background below his ear did not get blurry. The gap between the couple (under the woman's hair) did not get blurred at all. The hair on top of her head is blurred. The edge detection on her right sleeve is foggy.
7. Couple in front of building: This one is almost perfect, and even got the blur correct in the gaps between them. Only errors that stand out are the wall being mistaken as a part of her right hand, and the sidewalk showing below her jeans is not blurred.
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.