We're sprucing up the joint, and we're starting at the top with a new header
Hi. How's it going? We're Android Central. And we're still Android Central. We just look a little, well, different today. Not grossly so — just a new 'do up top is all. If you're reading this article in a web browser on your desktop, tablet or phone, look up — OK, it's kind of hard to miss — and you'll notice we've just rolled out a new site header.
We're pretty excited for this change as it marks the first of many upgrades we'll be pushing out over the weeks and months ahead. Some you'll get to see. Others will be just for us on the back end. And instead of launching one massive update, we're going to phase in the new features and design elements one or six at a time, the better for us all to ease into the new design while getting your valuable feedback along the way — and we definitely want your feedback.
So, what's new? You can't have new stuff without a changelog, right?
What's in this release?
- A header that works on all devices and screen resolutions.
- A new way for us to promote even more important stories while continuing to ramp up the daily news and how-to pieces.
- (Pro tip, especially if you have a touchscreen device: Swipe through the featured stories!)
- We've got a new streamlined menu system, with all site options moved under the "hamburger" icon on the far right.
- Lloyd has been made 5 percent cooler. (Yes, it was possible.)
So what's next?
This new header is just the start, of course. Here's a taste of what we're still working on:
- A new homepage layout (with traditional blog view still available to those who prefer it).
- Customizable Chrome and app push notifications.
- New article page designs with custom layouts for different types of content.
- Much improved search (and, yes, search in our app).
- A Q&A section.
- An Editors' Choice app gallery.
- Improved commenting on all posts, including upvoting and support for images.
- Redesigned device pages, to bring you all the important information you need on all the hottest devices.
And whatever else we come up with ...
Our continuing mission is to make Android Central better for you, so please dive in and test it on all your devices and let us know what you find in the comments below. If you come across any bugs or have any feedback to share, be sure to post it in the comments! This is just the beginning. Thanks for coming along for the ride.
Widgets and icon packs are fun, but a simple home screen is the way to go
Now that iOS 14 is out, there's been a renaissance in smartphone customization. Widgets, icon packs, and custom launchers are great, but you just can't beat one that's boring and simple.
Google's giving up too much ground in the smart home fight
We're in the thick of our fall launches, but after the tidal wave of new products from Amazon last week, Google's Launch Night In looks like it'll barely make a splash. That's not good, because Alexa and Ring are rapidly gaining on Assistant and Nest.
Luna is both a safe bet and Amazon's best idea in years
Is "rolling your own" Netflix-style game library what we really want? Amazon thinks so.
These are the best rugged Android phones
Living the rough and tumble life? Get yourself a smartphone that can handle everything you throw at it — or throw your phone at.