When it comes to voice guided satellite navigation the one company that springs to mind for most people is TomTom, but sadly we haven't had any Android love - until now. Today at IFA in Berlin TomTom are previewing their long awaited Android version. Pricing and availability is yet to be confirmed but clearly it needs to be an attractive package to tempt us away from using Google's own solution, although Tom Tom will certainly have more features.
“We aim to make TomTom content and services available to as many devices and platforms as we can,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director at TomTom. “Bringing TomTom navigation to Android smartphones is, therefore, a significant milestone for us.”
TomTom for Android will include the following features:
- World-class navigation - The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Lifetime maps – Free updates that ensure access to the latest maps and fastest routes.
- IQ Routes - Arrival times that drivers can rely on – at all times of day.
- Advanced lane guidance – Gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions.
- Spoken street names – Makes turnings even clearer.
- 2D / 3D driving view – The clearest display for the safest driving.
- TomTom HD Traffic – Available as an in-app purchase. It’s the quickest way through traffic. Proven.
- TomTom Speed Cameras – Available as an in-app purchase. Save money and drive safely with real-time mobile and fixed camera alerts.
We will of course bring your further TomTom news as we get it.
Source: Business Wire