Best answer: BLU has made affordable Android phones for years, but there have been security scares and a few disastrous bugs throughout its history. BLU phones can give a decent Android experience to users on a very limited budget, but it still hasn't completely won our trust back yet.
Great budget pick: BLU VIVO XL5 ($120 at Amazon)
BLU is a budget phonemaker with some black marks on its track record
If you've ever looked for Android phones on a budget, you've probably seen at least a couple BLU phones somewhere in that selection. BLU's phones often serve up trendy new features and passable specs in phones that are highly affordable unlocked — and almost always free on carrier subsidy.
While some BLU phones offer better performance than others — and thus better value — purchasing a budget phone is a matter of trust as much as it is price, and BLU has given users some doubts over the years:
- Back in 2016, some apps pre-loaded on BLU phones were found to have a backdoor that sent collected user data to Chinese servers. The U.S.-based BLU claimed to have no knowledge of the backdoor and says that it quickly acted to ensure the collected data was destroyed.
- In August 2017, Amazon suspended sale of BLU phones for a week, allegedly over more data collection and privacy concerns. BLU released a statement when the suspension ended, saying "that there is absolutely no spyware or malware or secret software on BLU devices".
- In November 2017, a faulty system update locked some users out of their BLU Life One X2 phones. It took almost a week for BLU to find a fix and begin informing users about how to go about getting back into their phones.
- May 2018 saw BLU reach a settlement with the Federal Trade Commision (FTC) after the 2016 incident occurred. Blu was required to create a new security program, along with possible assessements every other year.
- Considering past discretions and a myriad of issues, BLU's CEO, Samuel Ohev-Zion released a statement in 2018 stating that the company's focus would shift. Instead of releasing as many phones per year as possible, BLU would take a bit of a step back and focus more on providing more "well thought-out devices." This began with the new BLU VIVO XI+, which kicked off the 11th generation of BLU devices.
Privacy concerns aside, the thought of being locked out my phone for a week terrifies me, and while I trust that these hard lessons have helped BLU keep its act together since then, I'm still not sure I trust a BLU phone 100% to always be there for me when I need it. However, considering that it's been quite some time since any major issues have arisen, it may be time to leave the past behind and enjoy these products.
Bang for your buck: BLU's ultra-budget winners
BLU hasn't had a major SNAFU since 2018, and what it does have nowadays are some best-selling budget phones that deliver trendy new features at rock-bottom prices. For instance, the BLU VIVO X5 beats out the devices like the Moto G7 Power and Samsung Galaxy A10S as Amazon's best-selling unlocked cell phone. In fact, the Amazon unlocked best sellers list has quite a few BLU models on it from the last two years.
With a 6.3-inch notched screen and 4,000 mAh battery that can power that screen and the processors behind it all day, the VIVO XL5 is a phone that looks and performs above its price tag. Plus, there's an added benefit if you like the feel of faux leather; the XL5 reminds me of the Galaxy Note 3 days. If you want to try a BLU phone, this is the model to get.
Big screen, bigger battery, and budget pricing
The BLU Vivo XL5 sports a 6.3-inch HD display, along with the unique faux leather design on the back. This smartphone provides an impressive experience with the combination of 3GB of RAM, 64GB of expandable storage, and a massive 4,000mAh battery.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Ditch the cable and go wireless with these charging pads and stands
Charging with a cable is faster, but a wireless charger is much more convenient. These are the best you can buy, whether you want a pad, a stand, or a multi-device charger.
Spruce up your Galaxy S20 Ultra with these leather cases
You can never go wrong with a leather case, especially when it's for a phone as premium as the Galaxy S20 Ultra. Here are our top picks!
Your Galaxy S20+ deserves only the best leather cases
A big and powerful phone like the Galaxy S20+ deserves a premium case to go along with it. Here are our picks for the best leather cases for the handset!