It's been FIGHT WEEK™️ over at CordCutters.com, with the new Amazon Fire TV going head to head against the best streaming boxes you can buy, on all the major platforms.
But the first question we asked? Should you upgrade to an Amazon Fire TV Cube from one of the other Fire TV options. That's a good question, and one without a clear-cut answer. It's very much going to depend on what you're currently using.
The basics, in case you missed it: Amazon Fire TV Cube is a mash-up of an Amazon Fire TV 4K and an Amazon Echo Dot. So it's an custom Android-based entertainment system with full access to everything Amazon has to offer on the big screen, including movies and music and shows and apps and games. All that stuff. Plus it's got all the hardware from an Amazon Echo built in, so you can control all sorts of things, hands-free. ... To varying degrees of success.
So how well does it stand up against its competition, well. ...
What else did you miss? Quite a bit.
- DirecTV Now is raising its monthly subscription fee. And it announced the change late on a Saturday night. And it comes after parent company AT&T said merging with Time-Warner would save customers money. Go figure, hunh?
- PlayStation Vue is raising its monthly fees, too.
- And none of us should be surprised by any of this.
- We've been streaming the World Cup in 4K resolution on FuboTV. It's brilliant, but still limited to just a couple devices.
- Win one of 103 TV and antenna bundles! July 7 is National Cut the Cord Day, and TCL and Mohu are giving away 103 55-inch TCL Series 4 TVs, along with 103 Mohu Blade antennas. Enter here by July 9!
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.