Verizon this morning announced its first 4G LTE-capable smartphone with a slide-out keyboard -- the Samsung Stratosphere. It'll be available Oct. 13 for $149 after two-year contract and a $50 rebate.
It's got a 4-inch Super AMOLED display, powered by a 1GHz Cortex A8 processor. It's all running Android 2.3, with a wealth of business features, including Exchange Active Sync, Cisco AnyConnect, encryption services and Sybase Afaria for IT device management.
It's got a 5MP camera on the back, capable of shooting video up to 720p, and a 1.3MP shooter up front. And it'll serve as a mobile hotspot for as many as eight devices over 4G, and five over 3G.
Full presser's after the break.
Samsung Stratosphere forum | Samsung Stratosphere specs | Stratosphere gallery
First 4G LTE Smartphone with QWERTY Keyboard for Verizon Wireless: The Samsung Stratosphere™
Features a 4-inch Super AMOLED™ Display, 1 GHz Processor and B2B Enterprise Solutions
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Oct. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the Samsung Stratosphere™, a Galaxy S® smartphone, will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning Oct. 13.
The Samsung Stratosphere is the first 4G LTE smartphone from Verizon Wireless equipped with a five-row QWERTY keyboard and designed with Samsung's four-inch Super AMOLED™ display. Additionally, the Stratosphere supports enhanced B2B-enabled connectivity services from Cisco™, the most comprehensive mobile implementation of Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) and support for secure remote device management from Sybase ® Afaria®.
Ideal for the business professional, the Samsung Stratosphere offers robust data management support. The Stratosphere will support Samsung's Enterprise Platform enhancements such as VPN, encryption and Mobile Device Management (MDM). EAS includes features such as direct push, email, calendar, contact sync and Global Address List (GAL), as well as EAS policies including storage card encryption, device encryption, and simple and complex password support, all essential for streamlining business on the smartphone.
- 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
- Five-row QWERTY keyboard
- Samsung Super AMOLED™ Screen Technology makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life, even in bright light and outdoor environments
- Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread – support for Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 250,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- Samsung 1 GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat and 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus and flash (720p HD playback and 480p DVD-quality recording)
- Mobile Hotspot Capability – share 4G connection with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to five devices
- AllShare™ – enables wireless connectivity through Digital Living Network Alliance® (DLNA), so customers can send multimedia content to other DLNA Certified®-enabled devices such as TVs and laptops
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung's own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Bluetooth® 3.0 technology – support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, and object push for vCard and vCalendar
- Multiple video file formats supported, including DivX and XviD
- Wi-Fi Connectivity (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Samsung's enterprise mobility solutions will provide flexibility and connectivity for mobile workforces, ensuring that users are able to operate more efficiently on the go.
- Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) – communicate directly with your Microsoft Exchange Server enabling push email, calendar and contacts
- Support for Cisco AnyConnect 2.1 SSL VPN – supports access to private corporate networks using industry-standard VPN protocols with enhanced security of 4G LTE networks helps users tap into VPN networks with no waiting
- Encryption Services – users and IT administrators can initiate a remote wipe command to erase private information
- Support for Sybase Afaria® – MDM capabilities allow an integrated experience for the end user in the event it is required by their IT department or corporate policy
Pricing and data packages:
The Samsung Stratosphere will be available on Oct. 13 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $149.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
Customers that purchase a Samsung Stratosphere smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
The latest Steve Aoki concert is even better in VR
Do you miss live concerts? Steve Aoki and Oculus are teaming up to help bring you an immersive live concert in VR on September 30 based on Neon Future IV, the 4th studio album launched earlier this year.
How to watch Google's Pixel 5 event livestream on September 30
Between new Pixel phones and an all-new Chromecast, we're expecting a few different hardware announcements from Google's "Launch Night In" event on Septemeber 30. Here's how you can tune-in and watch it!
Review: Until you Fall will punish you, but it's worth it
Until You Fall is a VR roguelite that'll challenge your skills with a blade, your wits, and your arm muscles. It's now available on the Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, PlayStation VR (PSVR), and PC VR platforms including SteamVR and Oculus Rift.
The Xperia 1 II is our favorite phone for shooting video
If video recording is your thing, then look no further than the Sony Xperia 1 II — it offers a large screen, three great cameras, and extremely robust manual video controls.