NVIDIA has taken the wraps off the Tegra Note this morning, making the device that's been slinking around various wireless certification sites official. Complete with a special processor supported stylus, the Note serves to be the reference platform for NVIDIA's partners to use and showcase the features that are built into NVIDIA's latest Tegra 4 SoC.
Manufactured by NVIDIA but sold through trusted partners around the world, the 7-inch, 1280x800 Tegra Note will retail for $199. It certainly look like you'll be getting your money's worth, and the list of features is impressive, even if the display resolution is a little disappointing. The note name implies stylus support, and NVIDIA is promising an uncompromised experience from their DirectStylus support. Other features include a powerful camera that will be capable of 100 fps recording for slow-motion playback.
In addition, the Tegra Note, which sports a 5MP rear camera, will launch with the Android version of SmugMug's Camera Awesome, one of the top camera apps from iOS. Accessory makers are also on-board, and NVIDIA suggest that we will see "accessories galore" including smart covers, special tips for the DirectStylus, and Bluetooth capabilities that turn the tablet into a game controller.
Maybe the best news, at least for people reading Android Central, is that NVIDIA will directly handle any and all updates for the tablet. Experience from having the Shield let's us know this is a good thing, as they have been quick to respond to issues and aren't afraid to roll out the OTAs.
For more, see the link below. The full press release and another press image is after the break.
NVIDIA Reveals Tegra Note – Complete Tablet Platform, Powered by Tegra 4
By now many of you may have heard of NVIDIA Tegra Note, but are still wondering what it is.
Back in June at Computex, we briefly demoed an early version of the device, when it was better known as Tegra Tab. One of the many innovations it introduced was NVIDIA DirectStylus technology, which significantly improves passive stylus performance.
So what’s Tegra Note?
It’s a complete tablet platform, designed by NVIDIA and brought to market by our partners.
It embodies the NVIDIA brand – from our hardware and software (right down to OTA updates), to our industrial design, accessories and network of partners in game development.
It elevates the abilities of our partners, so they can provide tablets packed with innovation and features at prices they may not have been able to deliver on their own. In turn, NVIDIA gains access to their deep sales and distribution expertise in regions worldwide.
And it starts at a suggested retail price of $199, which will help many more people experience the new technologies going into Tegra Note, including its 100 percent Android OS.
This isn’t a first for us. About a year ago, we announced Project KAI – a Tegra 3 reference design intended as a recipe to build low-cost, high-quality Tegra 3 tablets. Google’s Nexus 7 was one. Tegra Note takes this to the next level by delivering a complete platform, not just the hardware.
In the next month, our partners will be bringing Tegra Note to market worldwide with features that speak to local consumers, among them are EVGA and PNY Technologies in North America; EVGA, Oysters, and ZOTAC in Europe; Colorful, Shenzhen Homecare Technology and ZOTAC in Asia- Pacific; and XOLO in India.
To whet your appetite, here’s a quick rundown on some of the Tegra Note’s unique features:
- Ultra-fast performance – Powered by Tegra 4 with a 72-core GeForce GPU and quad-core Cortex-A15 CPU with a fifth battery-saver core, making Tegra Note the world's fastest 7-inch tablet.
- Superb stylus – NVIDIA DirectStylus technology transforms a normal stylus into an incredibly responsive experience with finer point and broader stroke control. It also comes bundled with apps for convenient, stroke-based note taking.
- Exceptional sound – NVIDIA PureAudio technology offers rich, deep audio – including the widest frequency range in a tablet – through front- facing stereo speakers with a bass-reflex port.
- Groundbreaking camera – The camera uses Tegra 4’s processing power and Chimera computational photography architecture to deliver stunning new features. Tegra Note also brings SmugMug’s Camera Awesome app – one of the top camera apps on iOS – to Android. Camera Awesome delivers exclusive Tegra 4 features like tap-to-track and 100 fps video with slow motion playback.
- TegraZone gaming – Delivering unmatched gaming, NVIDIA TegraZone provides easy access to Tegra-optimized games with visual effects that aren’t available on other tablets. Tegra Note also supports a variety of game controllers for console-class gaming.
- Great battery life – 10-plus hours of HD video playback.
- Accessories galore – An intelligent slide cover flips and bends to support and cover the tablet. It also lets the tablet be set up in three distinct positions using the build-in magnets for added flexibility. The DirectStylus Pro Pack enables a variety of writing styles with interchangeable tips. And Bluetooth capabilities turn the tablet into a game controller.
On top of that, users get over-the-air (OTA) software updates provided directly by NVIDIA. This will help ensure customers have current software, offering the richest experience with their devices.
Here’s a full set of the specs for quick reference:
|Processor||Tegra 4 mobile processor with quad-core Cortex-A15 CPU and 72-core GeForce GPU|
|Display||7-inch HD IPS LCD display (1280 x 800)|
|Camera||Rear 5 MP and front VGA webcam|
|Storage||16 GB storage with micro SD expandable up to an additional 32 GB|
|Audio||Front facing “HD Audio” stereo speakers with a unique bass-reflex port|
|Stylus||Chisel and Brush tips for natural writing and broad strokes|
|Peripherals||Micro HDMI connector to drive big screen TV videos and gaming|
|OS||100% Android with latest version of the OS|
|Software Updates||Over The Air software updates directly from NVIDIA|
|Battery Life||10 hours HD video playback|
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.