When your home security system needs to tell you something, chances are you'll want to listen. Here's how to make sure you get those critical notifications you need.
Products Used In This Guide
Setting priority notifications
We're using the Nest app and the Nest Secure for demonstration purposes, but the process is the same for the Ring Alarm. too. There may be slight variations in the settings menu names, depending on your model of Android, but the overall process is the same. And to be clear — you might not need to do this at all. For obvious reason, an app of this sort should properly prioritize alarm notifications. But if you've messed in the settings, or something seems off, this is where to start:
- Open the Applications settings from the general settings menu on your phone.
- On newer versions of Android, you may need to look for Apps & Notifications in the list.
- If you see a list of Recently opened apps scroll down and open the link to See all of your apps.
- Find the Nest (or Ring) app in the list and tap it to open its settings.
- In the next window, tap the section labeled Notifications to enter the app's notifications settings.
- These instructions apply to all the notification categories you see listed, but we're interested in the Alarms section. Tap it to open the Alarms notifications category settings.
- Make sure the Show Notifications switch is enabled and tap the field labeled Behavior.
- Select Make sound and pop on screen from the choices presented. the window will close once you've made a selection.
- Tap the field labeled Advanced and the page will expand.
- Choose the options that will best alert you. We recommend you enable Override Do Not Disturb so that notifications will always sound and be displayed.
Whenever your Nest system (or Ring Alarm) sends a notification from the Alarm category your new setting will apply and you'll be better able to see it and respond.
Our top equipment picks
Smart alarm systems work great with your Android phone and can provide essential information through their app no matter where you are. We think these are the best systems you can buy.
The Nest Secure system integrates into any smart home.
The Nest Secure system offers complete adoption into the Google Assistant ecosystem. Control and monitor your security solution anywhere through the Nest app while you're away or through your Google Home while you're at home.
The Works With Nest program and tight Google Assistant integration make the Nest Secure the best smart alarm system you can buy if you want complete control through your smart home automation system. You not only can get these critical notifications, but you can chain events to trigger other products like cameras or outdoor alarms through Assistant Actions.
Affordable home protection without all the smarts.
The Ring Alarm doesn't have the smart home integration of our top pick but can still notify you through the Ring app whenever there is a problem.
The Ring Alarm is the best value when it comes to a great basic home security system and the Ring app will let you know anytime there is a problem. Amazon says Alexa integration is coming for the Ring Alarm and once it arrives you'll be able to enjoy the same smart home functions that the Nest Secure has.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Keep tabs on your weight loss goals with these smart scales
Get back on track with one of these smart scales to monitor, track, and sync your weight directly to your smartphone or tablet.
Protect the inside of your home with these indoor security cameras
Home security is a topic people are paying ever more attention to these days, and we've got a round-up of the best indoor security cameras on the market today to help you secure your home.
Get more out of your Ring cameras with these accessories
Ring security cameras are awesome out of the box, but they can be so much better with some of these accessories.