Pokémon Go is everywhere, and that's no accident! It's a fun, free game that's accessible to anyone, in any city. But getting started with the game takes a bit of setup, so here's what you need to know.
How to download and install Pokémon Go from the Play Store
Downloading Pokémon Go is easy! Some Android phones may see different login options or icon placements depending on the type of device, but these instructions should apply to most people.
Note: If you're on a computer, you can skip steps 1-3 by downloading Pokémon Go directly from the Google Play Store in your browser.
- Tap on Play Store icon. This will be on your home page or in your app drawer.
- Tap the search bar. Type pokemon go.
Tap Install button.
- Once download, tap Pokémon Go icon on home screen or app drawer.
- Tap accept on four permissions (Android 6.0+ only).
- Tap Sign up with Google. If there is more than one account, choose primary account.
Enter birth date (if applicable).
- Accept terms and conditions.
- Proceed through style selection.
How to get started playing
Once you've chosen your character and style, you have to choose your first Pokémon! There are three choices: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander (or Pikachu, if you're deft).
- Tap on your starter Pokémon.
- Enable camera for AR.
- Flick PokéBall towards Pokémon.
- Capture Pokemon. Celebrate!
That's it! Now you're ready to start walking around and levelling up your character.