If you are ready to activate your Metro by T-Mobile phone on a new account, your best bet is to head to a store. If you want to do things yourself, or want to rightfully avoid public spaces right now, you can call customer support or sign in to your online account to complete the setup. If you just want to get service on a new phone, all you need to do is move your SIM card to your new device.
Products used in this guide
- Unlocked Android with plenty of battery life: Moto G Power ($250 at Amazon)
- Great multi-line discounts: Metro by T-Mobile (From $30/month at Metro by T-Mobile)
If you already have an active Metro by T-Mobile account
If you already have an account with Metro by T-Mobile and just need to get service on a new phone, you just need to swap your SIM card. Most phones will work with Metro but if you want to be sure you can use the compatibility tool to be sure.
- Remove your SIM card from your old phone.
- Use a SIM removal tool to pop out the small tray on your phone. It looks like a small rounded rod with a handle and should be included in the box with your new phone. Some older phones have it accessible in the same compartment as the removable battery.
- Open the SIM tray on the new phone.
- Follow the instructions included with your new phone to properly eject it. Don't try to use a needle or other tools that might damage the phone. Many phones have plastic or rubber inside these ejection holes and damage can result in water intrusion.
- Insert the SIM card in the new phone according to the instructions. There is a notch on one corner that is used to make sure the alignment is correct.
Turn on your new phone and be patient. Sometimes it can take a couple of minutes to connect.
The nice thing about the T-Mobile network is that you don't need to worry about activating each specific device or paying activation fees. Once your SIM card is active, your device is up to you.
If you have a new account
One of the first places to start is Metro by T-Mobile's online Self-Service Center. From here, you should be able to complete the entire process, whether you need to change something on your account or even activate a new account.
Activating a new account through this portal would be convenient, although the link performance has been inconsistent in my testing. If it works, simply enter your account and phone information and follow the next few steps to get everything activated. If it's not working for you, move on to the methods below.
Activate a Metro device
The first, and probably quickest, option is to activate by phone.
- Activate your phone by dialing 228 on your Metro device.
- Follow the instructions and enter your account information.
- You will need to pay your first bill and then your phone should be activated.
You can also call 1-888-8Metro8 (1-888-863-8768).
You can also visit a store for assistance. This will be the easiest option since an employee will be able to assist you with every step. Find the store nearest to you on Metro by T-Mobile's website.
Finally, you can sign in online to complete an account activation. You will need your Metro by T-Mobile phone number and account PIN.
Bring a device from another carrier
If you are trying to bring a phone from another carrier, there's a bit more to do, especially if you want to keep your phone number. For this, Metro by T-Mobile wants you to come into the store to complete the setup. Here you will be able to purchase a SIM card as well as finish activating your account. To bring your number over, you will need your account information from your old carrier.
You may be able to complete this process by selecting the box under "Activate your new account" on Metro's self-service page if the page loads properly. You will need your account information as well as phone and SIM card information to complete the form.
If you already have an active Metro SIM card with a phone number, and your phone is unlocked and not active on another carrier, you should be able to just insert the SIM card to get going.
If you still need help, you can contact customer service at 1-888-8Metro8 (1-888-863-8768).
Our top equipment picks
You need a compatible phone and one of Metro by T-Mobile's plans.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.