Fall is in the air (I hate that cliche, but what the hell — it's true this weekend). Football is back. Baseball is starting to get interesting. The U.S. Open is just about behind us (Serena! Whoa!), the fall IFA (excellent!) and CTIA (why is this still a thing?) shows are in the books. And the damned Pumpkin Spice Lattes are annoying as ever.
So ... a few thoughts on things. ...
- Jerry was spot-on in his "Priorities" column last week. I wouldn't change this job for anything, but it can be hard to take it seriously when children's bodies are washing ashore.
- Same goes for Gizmodo's take on the Apple event hype. Announcement events are fun. They're important for companies. I'd love to go cover an Apple event in person. But they've become such a media circle jerk.
- I thought Samsung's Gear S2 event at IFA was interesting. Only 20 minutes long. Cool circular design in the Tempodrom.
- I get that folks are kinda lukewarm on the Gear S2, but I think that's going to change once it's available and more people get to try it. It's got a lot of potential.
- Verizon (as of a week or so ago) tells me the Sony Xperia Z4v is still coming. Why, though? Can it. Get the Z5 out.
- I'll finally have a Moto X Pure Edition this week. Only real question marks are camera and battery life. We already know how the software will look and feel. Looking forward to using it, though.
- I'm a little disappointed that Google didn't surface Slayer's new record to the top level "New releases" section in GP Music. (It did for Iron Maiden, though.)
- ICYMI: You can ignore those HTC Sept. 9 Flagship at Japan Event ZOMG stories out there. They're wrong.
- I would, however, like to see something new from HTC's new "not-just-a-smartphone-company" line this fall. Updated RE Camera, maybe? And they'd promised something in the "home" space. But with its continuing financial troubles, who knows at this point.
- I need to try the LG G4 again after its latest software update. Things running more smoothly now?
- I'm currently using the Huawei Mate S. Really nice hardware. The software has flashes of brilliance, right until it does something really dump that can't be covered up by a launcher.
- Makes me a little excited for Nexus Time, I guess. Tick, tock.
That's it for this week. See y'all Monday!
It's time to stop using SMS for two-factor authentication
Not all 2FA is equal. Using SMS to get a code might not be "better than nothing" after all.
Fresh Surface Duo renders are here, reportedly coming to AT&T
Microsoft hasn't exactly been camera shy with the Surface Duo, but a new set of renders have leaked that offer an even closer look at the device. Alongside the leaked images, the leaker says Duo will be headed to AT&T in the U.S.
24 hours with the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Big, beautiful, and backwards
It's still too early to give any conclusive thoughts on the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, but Samsung's latest flagship is already proving to be a tremendous phone in more ways than one.
Protect your new, huge Note 20 with one of these cases
The Note 20 may not have a glass back, but that doesn't mean you should let to go around in the chaotic world outside naked. Get a good case and protect your new Note 20 in style!