If you're a Droid User (or Nexus One user) eager to give Swype for Android, the purported nifty keyboard replacement, a try, there's a beta that you can download! The downloadable beta only works with WVGA handsets (hence Droid and Nexus One) so those with HTC Heroes and Droid Erises are a little out of luck for the time being. Reports are saying that Swype for Android is actually pretty sweet and works rather well, so go ahead and give yourself a try!
Here's how [via mobilecrunch]:
- Download and install the Astro file manager from the Android Marketplace
- Download this zip file
- Unzip that file, which will give you a file called “[mfhs]Swype-SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk”
- Copy the APK file to your handset’s SD card
- On your Android handset, go to Settings > Applications > and check the box next to Unknown Sources
- Use Astro to browse for the apk file on your SD card, install it.
- Go to Settings > Language and Keyboard. Enable the Swype keyboard.
- You should now be able to switch between the standard keyboard and the Swype keyboard by tapping-and-holding on any text input field.