T-Mobile is announcing 10 new markets that are being added to its list of 1900MHz HSPA+ areas, as part of its vision to eventually move to the frequency completely. Joining the current set of enhanced coverage cities -- Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Washington D.C. -- users in the following locations will experience improved coverage and speeds, and should start seeing HSPA+ speeds on unlocked AT&T-compatible devices:
- Phoenix, AZ: including Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, Paradise Valley, Surprise and Ahwatukee
- Mesa, AZ: including Chandler and Gilbert
- Tucson, AZ: including South Tucson, Marana, and Vail
- Silicon Valley: including Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Santa Clara, San Jose
- Oakland, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Stockton, CA
- Modesto, CA
- Miami, FL: including Coral Gables and Miami Beach
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: including Hollywood
Users in these areas may have already seen 1900MHz HSPA+ coverage before this date, but now T-Mobile feels there are enough towers supporting the service that it has launched it officially. Our own Chris Parsons notes that it has been off-and-on operational in Arizona before this point.
T-Mobile also notes that it is working to expand the same 1900MHz HSPA+ coverage in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, the New York metro area, Philadelphia, San Diego and Seattle, and users may start seeing faster service as they work to roll it out officially.
This is a very important move for the carrier as it attempts to lure customers away from AT&T -- especially those with the iPhone -- and offer them a full-speed experience with their current handset. As we move through 2013, we'll see even more markets go live with 1900MHz HSPA+.
- Filed under: