Dropbox has sent out email notifications that the latest Android beta is now available for testing, so we fired things up and gave it a spin. There's some bug fixes -- small file changes now sync properly, files don't re-upload on upgrade or re-install, and increased network timeout so it works better on slow networks, but the new feature list is great. Alnog with the new version comes:
- Added "Share to Dropbox" from other applications (Gallery, etc). Either single or multiple files can be shared at the same time.
- File Downloads & Uploads now display progress notifications instead of Spammy Toasts.
- Multi-touch Gallery for pictures in a directory. Long-hold on pictures in gallery to do file operations.
- Now you can create Shortcuts to Dropbox folders by long-holding on the desktop.
- Added long-hold folder options for sharing and open.
- Long-hold file Open now plays non-streaming, if it's a streaming file type.
- Added Cache Size display and Clear Cache button.
- Prompt to install file manager such as OI or Astro if one is not installed already.
- Notification if SD card is unavailable, so downloads, viewing, or uploads won't work.
- The e-mail to tell friends about Dropbox now contains a referral link, so you can get a quota bonus.
- Visual Redesign with new icons
So far, the new features seem to be working great, and not having to resync and upload/download my cached files on the phone after upgrading was a big plus. Here at Android Central we all love and use Dropbox religiously, so we're happy to see the changes. I think you will be, too. Hit the break to see what the features look like, and you can head over to the official Dropbox forums for the full release notes and download links [Dropbox forums]
If you prefer to use the current stable version of Dropbox, you can download it right here:
- Filed under: