Madfinger Games has kicked off an open beta for Shadowgun: DeadZone, a multiplayer version of their widely-recognized shooter title. It's only available for Tegra 3-powered devices as you might expect, and as a beta there are bound to be at least a couple of glitches along the way. The beta's free and here's what you get with it:
- Four playable characters (Soldier, Mutant, Assassin, Dancer)
- Two Game Modes (DeathMatch, Zone Control)
- Two Maps (Assembly Hall, Invasion)
- Weapons (Bandit (SMG), Vega (Attack Rifle), Big Boy (Machine gun), Spate (Plasma Rifle), Mace (Shotgun), Osog - (Sniper), Sh*tStorm - (Rocket Launcher))
- Gadgets (Sprint, Medi Kit, Ammo Kit, FlashBang, EMP Grenade, Frag Grenade, Sentry Gun, Mine)
There are at least a few other characters teased on the Shadowgun Facebook page that aren't included just yet, like a robot named S.A.R.A., Sheriff Moregun, the Toltech Corps scientist, and Jessica "Widowmaker" Metzger. I wasn't able to log into a matchmaking server, but am eager to keep trying in the name of science. There are already plenty of positive reviews on Google Play, so it looks like it's working for at least a few people.
There's already been one expansion squeezed out for Shadowgun, and I suspect that over time we'll be seeing at least a few more. Those that have downloaded and installed the DeadZone beta, what do you think so far? Does the engine work well for multiplayer? Any significant lag? How many of y'all enjoyed the original?