What you need to know
- TikTok and WeChat will be removed from U.S. app stores on Sunday, September 20.
- A statement has just been released by the Department of Commerce.
- The Trump administration will not force any action in China.
The Department of Commerce says it will ban TikTok and WeChat from app stores in the U.S. from Sunday, September 20.
In a press release the department stated:
The following transactions will be prohibited:
- Any provision of service to distribute or maintain the WeChat or TikTok mobile applications, constituent code, or application updates through an online mobile application store in the U.S.
- Any provision of services through the WeChat mobile application for the purpose of transferring funds or processing payments within the U.S.
The statement further says that as of September 20 for WeChat and November 12 for TikTok, the following transactions will be prohibited:
- Any provision of internet hosting services enabling the functioning or optimization of the mobile application in the U.S.;
- Any provision of content delivery network services enabling the functioning or optimization of the mobile application in the U.S.;
- Any provision directly contracted or arranged internet transit or peering services enabling the function or optimization of the mobile application within the U.S.;
- Any utilization of the mobile application's constituent code, functions, or services in the functioning of software or services developed and/or accessible within the U.S.
These measures ensure TikTok and WeChat will be removed from iOS and Google Play starting Sunday, preventing users from downloading the apps or updating them in the future.
The statement says that TikTok has until November 12 to resolve the national security concerns it poses. If this is done, the ban may be lifted.
Why is this such a big thing China has banned facebook instagram, youtube google and whatsapp all American companies I did see any make a fuss of that.
So, begging the question.... Why are there so many of trumps followers on TicTok???? Think that they should then be banned.
Good riddance to the freaking spyware. And anybody who think this is just Trump being an a-hole the Biden campaign banned the app from all staffers phones and the US Senate voted unanimously to ban the app from all federal employee phones. Be smart people, stop letting every bit of your life be sucked up by these companies. This includes all the clueless sheep who live on Facebook all day.
Perhaps you didn't read the Wall St Journal article August 7th about a US contractor that adds tracking code to over 500 top apps, Android & iOS, on behalf of US Gov't spy agencies. Yes, the app companies know the code is there... It's added in house. You won't find this in app service agreement terms, you can not opt out.
Trump doesn't need to do anything to be an a-hole, that comes naturally. The rest of your drivel makes no sense at all.
If you don't think your gov't or American companies aren't tracking every friggin thing you do then you're in space. Your post is drivel and worthless.
It's not about the tracking so much that it's about a foreign country tracking and gathering info. It's been proven that the app has copied passwords, screen shots, activated the camera and mics while not in use. Do you really want a foreign county having all this info?
Finally, glad to see this happen.
It was just about time! All these ccp scum things should be banned everywhere!
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.