Having multiple people in your household using the same profile on all the Echo devices in your house can be a bit confusing, especially since everyone has different needs and wants from the Alexa smart assistant. Amazon has an answer for that with Alexa Voice Profiles. At the end of this guide, you'll be an expert at setting up different Alexa Voice Profiles for everyone in your home.
Products used in this guide
- Your main assistant: Amazon Echo (3rd Gen) ($100 at Amazon)
- The only app you need: Alexa App (Free at Google Play)
How to set up your first profile via your Echo Device
- With your Echo device set up, say, Alexa, Learn My Voice.
- Alexa will ask you who you are in your Amazon profile. Respond with No until your name is reached, then respond with Yes.
- Repeat the phrases that Alexa asks you to repeat.
- Alexa will have learned your voice!
You can also use start setting up Alexa Voice Profiles using the Alexa App for Android:
How to set up your profile via the Alexa App
- Open the Amazon Alexa app.
- Sign in to the main Amazon Account associated with all the Echo devices in your household.
- Tap the Menu icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Tap Settings.
Tap Account Settings.
- Tap Recognized Voices.
- On the Recognized Voices screen, tap the + sign next to Create a voice profile.
On the screen that says Teach Alexa your voice, read the disclaimer and tap Continue.
- Follow the on screen prompts to read out loud what Alexa wants you to say, and then your Voice Profile will be created.
- You will then see a screen that allows you to customize your Voice profile settings, delete your voice profile, and Match voice profiles to other known voices in the household.
- Finally, you can help Alexa recognize other voices by using the Alexa app on another device (or logging out of your current device and logging back in with another profile that has access to your devices).
Follow the instructions for adding a new user, and then go into Your Voice in settings to create a new voice profile.
Now you know how to get Alexa to recognize your voice and the voices of others in your household. There, you just got a little closer to your personal AI voice assistant. Aww, how sweet!
Our top equipment picks
A routine powerhouse
Amazon's flagship voice assistant isn't just a fancy speaker.
The Amazon Echo is a powerful device that allows for more than just streaming audio. Setting up routines, voice profiles and even Amazon shopping makes the Amazon Echo a potential centerpiece in anyone's home
Setting up everyone in your home with an Alexa voice profile for the Echo devices you have is a great way to make sure everyone's individual Alexa experience is special to them. Your music listening, shopping and skill experiences will be different across each profile, which will be sure to please all the members of your household.
In addition to the Echo, setting up other profiles requires the Alexa application for Android.
Amazon Alexa App (Free at Google Play)
The nerve center of the Echo experience, here is where you'll set up your Voice Profiles and more.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The best Alexa-compatible smart lights
Amazon's Echo ecosystem of smart speakers is great for controlling smart bulbs from brands like LIFX and Philips Hue. The only trick is choosing the right bulb.
These are the best of the best in smart home devices compatible with Alexa
The Amazon Echo can be the nerve center of your home with this collection of the best Alexa-compatible smart home devices. Which ones are you going to add to your home?
These are the best smart plugs that work with Alexa and Google Assistant
Save on your energy costs with the right smart plugs that work with Google Assistant and Alexa.