Archos, which recently revealed its FroYo update timeline via Facebook, has held true to its word. As of today, anxious Archos internet tablet owners can get in on the Froyo goodness. For their price and functionality, the Archos line of internet tablets are an excellent option if you're in the market for an Android powered portable media player or tablet. I'm guilty of owning an aged iDevice from 2007, and I'm looking for any reason to ditch it for an Android PMP, and this FroYo update could be what it took for me to get on board with Archos.
FroYo brings quite an impressive list of improvements and enhancements to the Archos family. In addition to the infamous JIT compiler, Android 2.2.1 brings enhanced Microsoft Exchange support, better 3rd party application support, improved camera operation, faster USB transfer and more.
Hit the break for a full list of improvements. And of course, head into our tablet forums to share your thoughts. Let us know what you think of FroYo on your Archos tablet. [Archos.com]
- Higher performance: just in time compiler (JIT) technology makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous Android "Eclair" 2.1 firmwares
- Enhanced Microsoft Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronize contacts and calendar events
- Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the storage memory (for applications that supports it)
- Video: movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager
- External bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection)
- OpenVPN is now supported
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications
- Photoframe: full screen picture can now be displayed on double tap when in floating image mode
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application
- Faster USB write transfer
- Battery: more accurate battery charge estimation
- Audio: improved compatibility with android audio stream volume management (voice/music/ringtone etc.)
- Orientation: fixed compatibility issue with some applications working with inverted accelerometer axis
Sign up for Black Friday email alerts!
Get the hottest deals available in your inbox plus news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more from the Android Central team.