A new build of Android 2.3.3 for the Motorola Droid X is making the rounds this afternoon and reportedly has hit up a few people OTA-style. Here's the deal:
- We're looking at Android 2.3.3. That's Gingerbread, folks.
- It's system version 4.5.588 -- the leaked build we played with last month was 4.5.573.
- It's said that the update might be pushed out silently -- you could get it an not even know it. We'll believe that when we don't see it.
- If you don't feel like waiting for the update, you can update manually. (We've got instructions after the break.)
- And if you do update (manually or over the air), the old 2.3.340 SBF file will still work, just in case you need to roll back.
So, that's that. We're halfway expecting Verizon to let us know if this thing's for real -- they've been really good about announcing updates the past few months. Anyone actually seeing this over the air yet? If you wanna give it a go the manual way, head on past the break. [Droid X Forums via P3Droid and Android Central Forums]
Update: Verizon says it's not yet pushing any update, according to JR Raphael from Computer World.
How to install 4.5.588 for the Droid X manually
- Download this file.
- Rename it update.zip and move it to your Droid X SD card.
- Power off your Droid X.
- Hold down the home buttons and power button. When you see the Motorola logo appear, you can let go of the power button.
- When you see the Droid with the exclamation mark, press the search key once.
- You'll now be in recovery. Choose to install update.zip, and you're on your way!
- Related devices: