There's something about sitting on a porch with a cup of coffee that leads to brain dumps. Although that could be because I'm the only one in this house silly enough to be awake on a porch at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday. Nobody's awake for waffles yet. (Mmmmmmmm. Waffles.)
So with that in mind, here's what's been on mine.
- I recently had to explain to my nearly 9-year-old daughter what the original Game Boy was. And how how Zelda hasn't always been played in 3D. And that, no, we don't have to start picking out my headstone just yet. I'm not really that old.
- It's good to see the dust settle a bit over Apple's privacy PR bomb. Again, it's going to be interesting to see how the finished product (iOS 9 and all of those new services) ends up. Will they be any good? Only one way to find out. Meanwhile, folks are noting the difference between rhetoric and reality.
- The New York Times' Farhad Manjoo gets it.
- Walt Mossberg gets it.
- This is one hell of a cool Google Cardboard contest.
- So, yeah. If you want to install a system update on my phone, I'm all for it. Maybe just ask first.
- After getting some new gear to more properly record the podcast, I'm pretty stoked by the result. It sounds so much better in the car now. (And everywhere else.)
- Our home page is going to be revamped sometime soon. It'll look a good bit different. And while I'm not 100 percent crazy about all the changes, it's going to be so much faster to load. (See Windows Central for what it'll look like.)
- I'm not what you'd call anything close to a country music fan. But do yourself a favor. Head to your favorite music service and fire up a John Hiatt station. You'll hear songs you didn't know you knew, and songwriters you didn't realize were so good.
- Lucinda Williams is that dark? Damn.
- I first saw John Hiatt live in the mid-1990s, and a decade or so ago with my wife when he was doing shows alongside Lyle Lovett (again, someone you need to give a shot if you've never done so) and Joe Ely. Incredible.
- Rewatched a bunch of the first season of True Detective this week, as HBO gears up for the second season. Good lord, what a good, dark show that was.
That's it for this week. See y'all Monday.