Xbox One X versus PlayStation 4 Pro: Which high-end console brings the better hardware?
Tonight at E3 in Los Angeles Microsoft introduced the new Xbox One X and it's time to compare their best to Sony's latest and greatest.
The Xbox has become more than just a game console as Microsoft has focused on making it another part of the expansive Windows platform. Meanwhile, Sony has focused on adding features to the PlayStation to bolster the gaming experience as well, though they don't have software expertise of Microsoft. But for many, the whole thing boils down to which console will play the games and movies we want, and look the best while doing it.
While the hardware won't tell the whole story, here's what we know so far.
|Category||Xbox||PlayStation 4 Pro|
|Dimensions||Smallest Xbox ever||11.61in x 12.87in x 2.17in|
|CPU||8-core AMD custom Scorpio Engine|
Liquid-cooled vapor chamber
|AMD Jaguar 8-core (x86-64)|
|GPU||40 custom AMD GCN cores (6 TFLOP)|
326GB/s memory bandidth
|36 AMD GCN cores (4.2 TFLOP)|
218GB/s memory bandwidth
|AV out||HDMI 2.0||HDMI 2.0|
|Power consumption||245w max||310w max|
|USB||USB 3.0||USB 3.0 (x3)|
|VR support||No||Yes (PSVR Enhanced)|
Sounds like a beast! Your move, Sony.
We'll keep updating as Microsoft reveals more information about the Xbox One X.
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
Jerry is an amateur woodworker and struggling shade tree mechanic. There's nothing he can't take apart, but many things he can't reassemble. You'll find him writing and speaking his loud opinion on Android Central and occasionally on Twitter.
Xbox - Yes;
PS4 "Pro - WTF were you thinking, Sony?
2. You just listed a bunch of HDD and SSD space like that's somehow beneficial to gaming performance. 1 SSD or M.2 is enough. I don't care about your 8TB HDD
3. your RAM was ****. I run DDR3 and run 2400 Mhz. And having 64 GB of it doesn't help you game better. If you're running DDR4 you should be running 2800 Mhz and up. 2133 is barely a sidegrade from DDR3
4. your CPU selection was ****. K model CPU or bust. even if you don't OC the K model is clocked higher out of the box.
5. My PS4 pro for the most part doesn't actually run at 4k. Let's wait and see how the Scorpio implements their version of it.
6. Games need to have Pro/Scorpio version by the developers in order to play at 4K. On PC all games will run at 4K assuming your hardware supports it. So my statement stands: the GTX 1080 Ti is still the superior product no matter how you slice it.
These consoles are all about games now, especially with VR on board.
Sony kills them in almost every aspect and they're $100 cheaper. You're right that hardware doesn't tell the whole story. Xbox is a whole year behind Sony in terms of game catalogue.
Xbox One has 2...Halo and Sunset Overdrive. If you have a PC, there is NO REASON to own an Xbox. PERIOD.