The folks at TwentyFive Squares have updated the Press app, bringing the most requested features to the popular Google Reader application. Ignoring the important "performance enhancements and bug fixes" that accompany every application update, the new feature list looks impressive.
- Quick article navigation to go to next/previous articles -- Use the volume keys to move backwards and forwards inside your article list. Enable this in settings.
- Background/automatic syncing -- enable frequency of background syncing in the app settings.
- Sync on app launch -- Your Reader feeds will sync when the Press app is opened.
- Background syncing notifications -- Get notifications when background syncing finds new content.
- New text-alignment options -- Left, Right, and Center justification supported.
- Show image title and URL in the image viewer -- No more guessing at image URLs.
- Date and time formats now match device settings
- Article title is now included when sharing to social networks
We're fans of the Press app here, and it looks like this is an awesome update. Check Google Play for your update notification, or if you're looking to try Press for the first time ($1.99; Android 4 or higher) you can click the Google Play link above.
I wouldn't really call using the volume keys to navigate 'quick.' Swiping side to side makes so much more sense.. maneuvering my fingers to the barely used volume keys on my Nexus 7 is a hassle if I'm reading articles. I'm not sure if the devs are trying to be unique with Press, but there's no shame in taking pointers from popular and user-friendly RSS readers. No thumbnails on articles is another missing feature, one which, after asking the devs, they said they don't plan on adding. Real shame too, because aside from lack of basic reader features, it's quite pretty.
Actually there's little arrows that are used to switch between articles. The volume keys are more of a setting
all i want is image caching, for my fashion blogs
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.